Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Wiring electronic ammeter / voltage meter

cygnusv

Oct 7, 2014
Hi Everyone, it's nice to be back!

One of our projects this year is to fit solar power onto the boat. I've already got a new Victron 75/15 MPPT controller and I've just bought this little volt/amps meter. It's rated up to 30 vdc and 10 amps (ebay UK ref. 182428564437). We're 24 volts and the solar will probably only supply 8 amps flat out.

I'm a novice at electronics but eager to learn. First of all is it possible for someone to simplify the wiring connections shown in the pic. I don't want to screw it up by getting it wrong.
Also am I right in thinking that the voltage reading will be the voltage from the controller and not the voltage from the solar panels? I'm asking this because I know the voltage from the 2 x 12 volt panels wired in series will be over 30 volts in sunny conditions.

All advice and any helpful suggestions eagerly awaited.
Many thanks, Stu, Doncaster, UK

s-l500.jpg

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Power supply+ and power supply- go to your the output of the charger. Measure+ could go to either your battery +ve (to measure battery voltage) or maybe to the +ve of the solar panels (to measure the solar panel voltage -- not really useful).

The current+ and current- go between the charger and the battery. If in series with +ve from the charger, red goes toward the charger and black to the positive of the battery. Do the reverse if installing it in series with the negative of the charger. I would recommend placing it in the positive lead from the charger to the battery because any voltage drop won't affect your voltage measurement.

cygnusv

Oct 7, 2014
Hi Steve,
Many thanks for your advice, that clears things up for me. One thing though..

The output from the boat's alternator goes through the boat's ammeter to the battery banks. Is this also the case with this little electronic meter? Or do I wire from the mppt to the batteries direct, and use additional wires to piggy back up to the meter?
Hope I'm being clear.
Stu

Power supply+ and power supply- go to your the output of the charger. Measure+ could go to either your battery +ve (to measure battery voltage) or maybe to the +ve of the solar panels (to measure the solar panel voltage -- not really useful).

The current+ and current- go between the charger and the battery. If in series with +ve from the charger, red goes toward the charger and black to the positive of the battery. Do the reverse if installing it in series with the negative of the charger. I would recommend placing it in the positive lead from the charger to the battery because any voltage drop won't affect your voltage measurement.

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
No, the current must flow through the ammeter.

Before you connect anything up, it might be worth using a multimeter to ensure there is no significant continuity between either of the ammeter whites and either of the power supply wires.