Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Wireless remote bell push to ring wired bell system

Gilly57

Oct 16, 2014
I have a wired door bell system with bell pushes on the front and back door, but I have locked gates, so visitors can't get in the garden to ring the bell. There is a converter on the market that will send a signal from a wired bell push to a wireless chime, but I can't find one that sends a wireless signal to a wired chime.

Any ideas if this is possible and how easy to wire up?

Thanks
Gill

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Nope can't find anything either. Is it an option to replace the bell with a new wireless one?
Adam

Gilly57

Oct 16, 2014
Nope can't find anything either. Is it an option to replace the bell with a new wireless one?
Adam
Thanks, I did try one, but the signal wouldn't reach the hall from the gate, and chime/bell needs to be in the hall to be heard all over the house. But the gate where I want the wireless bell push is only a few metres from the back door where the wiring is for the existing wired bell, so the signal would be short if there was a way to do it. The only other option is putting bell wire in a hosepipe under the pebbled drive (as long as it doesn't have to be as deep as electric cable?)!

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
So you want to put a wireless transmitter outside the gate, so visitors can push that button, and it will trigger a receiver that will activate the wired doorbell in your house?

You can use any generic radio controlled switch for this. They are available fairly cheaply on eBay - search for wireless relay.

They consist of a packaged transmitter with one or more pushbuttons - probably not waterproof or weatherproof - and a circuit board with one or more relays. You need to supply a voltage to the board - a "wall wart" is fine for this. You connect the relay contacts across one of the doorbell pushbuttons, so while the relay is closed, the doorbell system sees a doorbell button being held in.

The wireless relay system has to transfer the pushbutton state to the relay state. In other words, while the transmitter button is held in, the relay remains closed; when the button is released, the relay contacts open. Some wireless relay systems have different behaviours or are configurable. For example, each press of the button toggles the relay from ON to OFF or vice versa. Make sure you get one that controls the relay state directly from the pushbutton (or can be configured to do so).

Edit: Oh, and welcome to Electronics Point :)

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Thanks, I did try one, but the signal wouldn't reach the hall from the gate, and chime/bell needs to be in the hall to be heard all over the house. But the gate where I want the wireless bell push is only a few metres from the back door where the wiring is for the existing wired bell, so the signal would be short if there was a way to do it. The only other option is putting bell wire in a hosepipe under the pebbled drive (as long as it doesn't have to be as deep as electric cable?)!

Oh ok you can get wireless extenders and extended chimes, I did look at this but wasn't sure you would want to fit a new door bell. Kris's idea is not a bad one if you are willing to do a bit of wring etc.
Adam

Gilly57

Oct 16, 2014
So you want to put a wireless transmitter outside the gate, so visitors can push that button, and it will trigger a receiver that will activate the wired doorbell in your house?

You can use any generic radio controlled switch for this. They are available fairly cheaply on eBay - search for wireless relay.

They consist of a packaged transmitter with one or more pushbuttons - probably not waterproof or weatherproof - and a circuit board with one or more relays. You need to supply a voltage to the board - a "wall wart" is fine for this. You connect the relay contacts across one of the doorbell pushbuttons, so while the relay is closed, the doorbell system sees a doorbell button being held in.

The wireless relay system has to transfer the pushbutton state to the relay state. In other words, while the transmitter button is held in, the relay remains closed; when the button is released, the relay contacts open. Some wireless relay systems have different behaviours or are configurable. For example, each press of the button toggles the relay from ON to OFF or vice versa. Make sure you get one that controls the relay state directly from the pushbutton (or can be configured to do so).

Edit: Oh, and welcome to Electronics Point :)
OK, thanks for that. Now I know it can be done, I will see if I can do it, but if not, find someone who can. Many thanks.