Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Apple

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

Supercap2F

Mar 22, 2014
I think it would be interesting to discuss different opinions on Windows and Apple. I think that both have good uses although I prefer Windows. Apple looks really cool and (I would say) is mostly for graphic design. Windows I think is better for most programs. I like how Apple has a IPhone, IPad,IPod etc.

Discussion is welcome.

Dan

P.S. If the mods think this would not be good to discuss then it's OK to delete it.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I'm not much of a computer person.
The big difference I HEAR about, which may or may not be the current buzz, is that:
Windows is much more popular, and therefore a bigger target for hackers to try to screw with.
Apple users are devout, and the ones I talk to claim that it has less vulnerability to hackers simply because being less popular, hackers don't try to screw with it as often.
The Apple people also claim their apps are easier to use than Windows, but I don't know.
That's my two-cents worth in your requested discussion.
If you mention what you want to do with your programming applications, you can probably get more specific opinions about what would work better for you from others here.

Supercap2F

Mar 22, 2014
This really is not a question. I would just thought it would be interesting to know why people like Windows or why they like Apple. I did not mean programming like C or something I meant that most CAD etc. programs work with Windows, not Apple. :D You are right about hackers, a test once showed that the average time to get a virus on the web without a antivirus software is 12 min.:eek:

Dan

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
Personally if I could afford it and I could build my own PC with it I would use Mac OS, it is a much more efficiently built piece of software, its much more stable and just better all around.
Windows just has more flexibility with hardware so that is what I use.

I say all the time that most computers have this one bit of software that makes everything run funny/slow, and causes crashes all the time, it's called Microsoft Windows.

Also the notion of things not running on Mac that do on Windows is actually a dying truth, yes there are still games and programs that do not work with one or the other, but for the most part there are versions of most programs for both. (Even if there were programs that didn't work one to the other there are programs for Windows that don't work one version to the next, ie a program that works on XP that does not work with Vista/Win7)

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
really ... its a pretty pointless discussion

greengiant pointed out most of the reasons in this section of his response ....

Also the notion of things not running on Mac that do on Windows is actually a dying truth, yes there are still games and programs that do not work with one or the other, but for the most part there are versions of most programs for both. (Even if there were programs that didn't work one to the other there are programs for Windows that don't work one version to the next, ie a program that works on XP that does not work with Vista/Win7)

its no different to saying with cameras ... Which is best ... Canon, Nikon or Pentax
each have their good and bad points/features and
each have their legions of dedicated followers

its no different with computer OS types ... Apple, Windows, or Linux .... you forgot about Linux didn't you Dan ;)

Linux is by far the most stable OS platform, there is. beats the other 2 hands down
and with its software addons it can run pretty much any Windows based software

The whole argument about which is the better one would just be an endless loop discussion with no resolution
Like cameras, computers are just tools, use the one you are most comfortable with :)

cheers
Dave

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I've added "other" to the poll because even if the question is "Which of these do you prefer", "other" or "neither" ate valid options. The question is very much like asking someone if they would prefer to be Christian or Muslim. Firstly it eliminates many valid (and indeed, major) options, and secondly it oversimplifies the issue that each major option has many variants.

Personally, I've used many operating systems. A few of them are: TOPS-10, RSTS, MVS, MPE, HP-UX, CPM, MPM, CPM-86, MS-DOS (from 1.x up to 6.x, and higher if you include embedded windows versions), Windows (from 2.x up), Linux (4 major distros plus others). And whilst I don't list them, I've been exposed to a stack of others including MAC-OS (both pre and post BSD).

As a developer, user, and supporter of users of application software, the OS is important to me, but I've used enough to be able to say that most "ease of use" arguments boil down to familiarity. The big deal for developers is number of users (sometimes), the API, the development environment, the availability of documentation/examples, and frequently what you have on hand at the time.

The more operating systems you're exposed to the more you learn that every one has annoying shortcomings that make you wish you were using something else. It's not that the grass is greener on the other side, it's frankly pretty patchy. Every time you're in one of those dry, dead patches, you gaze over and see the verdent green somewhere else (and maybe forget for a moment that they hide their own dead dry patches).

Supercap2F

Mar 22, 2014
davenn said:
really ... its a pretty pointless discussion

LOL I guess it is.

davenn said:
its no different with computer OS types ... Apple, Windows, or Linux .... you forgot about Linux didn't you Dan
(*steve*) said:
I've added "other" to the poll because even if the question is "Which of these do you prefer", "other" or "neither" ate valid options

I actually tried to edited my thread to add other, once I remembered linux. But it would not let me edited the pole.:( I totally agree with you, every one is comfortable with the operating system they use (thats why they use it!). You can go a head and delete this thread if you want to.

Dan

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
Very simply lets look at the logo's
Windows_logo_-_2012.png
Apple-logo.jpg

So before I even get an Apple some dirty guy in the factory has taken a bite out of it........ think I'll stay with windows til apple provide a complete system lmao

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
So before I even get an Apple some dirty guy in the factory has taken a bite out of it........ think I'll stay with windows til apple provide a complete system lmao

hahaha too funny :)

D

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
so all jokes aside, why are we only discussing these 2?
lets go through the list
Linux and its derivatives
ios
windows
android
the list is getting longer. then you can also look at the gaming consoles as they are getting impressive too.
I think its down to personal preference. I like android on my phone and windows on my computer. I also like Ios for music stuff but as I am tone deaf it is kind of stupid me like IOS lol.
windows I prefer cos I am a gamer and when I get a game it works (with a few exceptions... stupid windows 8)
also apple has this nasty habit of making it difficult (not impossible though) to link up things that aren't apple. take for example bluetoothing on phones...... but that's just me. I like the idea of things that work and I just click to make it work. not having to run 500 thousand lines of code just to find the Linux system (example only) does not support this feature or game

galaxy

Nov 3, 2012
Ok, my 2 cents worth of opinion...
Windows, treated properly, is quite stable, fast and user friendly.
Apple , MacOS etc, is all of the above but even more user friendly (when you get your head around the different approach to things)
Its pretty well foolproof.
But....
When things go wrong, and they still do, it can be a nightmare to correct.
Where I work I have about 800 windows devices, and about 120 Apple. I still get a sinking feeling when someone walks in with a problem with their Macbook.