Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Windows 7 and image displaying

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi guys

been meaning to ask about this for ages....
been strongly prompted by the fact that I am now running Win 7 at home
The Win 7 Pro machine at work has annoyed me for ages

Tis Win 7 professional on both putters

when I try to open an image in a thread ( ie click on the thumbnail to get the full size image) the image box will be diaplaye3d with the little circle going around indicating that its trying to load the image .. if left alone it will stay like that for ages before the image is displayed ... if it even finally does display.
But if I close that box after a couple of seconds and reclick on the thumbnail the image opens immediately.

This isn't an intermittent thing ... its like that EVERY time. And now seeing that it does it on the home setup as well, I'm now assuming it may be some setting in Win7 that needs to be changed

anyone else using Win7 and has seen that problem ?
anyone found a cure in the settings ?

It seems to be a forum related thing, where the image opens up in a window " in front of " the thread window. Rather than where a separate page is opened to show the image

cheers
Dave

PS. this may all be irrelevant when we move to the new forum software ;)
still curious tho

PPS. I already have electronicspoint.com/ in the compatibility view settings

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I haven't seen that behaviour on Electronics Point and I have used several win 7 machines.

Not saying I haven't seen that behaviour at all though...

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
OK Steve ... wonder why Im seeing it on 2 different PC's ?

just setting up the Win7 Pro computer, getting all my programs reinstalled etc

Dave

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
I can confirm that behaviour. I came to almost immediately close the little black window and re-open it. Works fine then.

I have no clue as to why this happens (3*Win 7 Pro machines) :(

Update: Crazy but true: just after posting this, I checked a few threads and the images loaded in no time. So what?

Last edited:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hey Harald thanks for the confirmation

once a given image has been opened, it will always open quickly, probably due to the caching

Dave

jpanhalt

Nov 12, 2013
Win7 Pro since August, 2013. Images on EP have not been a problem. Just tested a previously unloaded image. The first view was a blackened area for an instant (<1 sec). Next view was faster. My system score is 7.0 (graphics and gaming = 7.0; drive is 7.9; others are 7.7).

Download = 16.49 Mbps; Upload = 3.45 Mbps (to Chicago)

Using Google Chrome for my browser. That may be a variable. I find IE to be slow by comparison.

John

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
I emptied the cache and still get fast responses now - but not the last days, when I observed the black box.

I've tried Firefox without a visible change in effect.

Ian

Administrator
Aug 23, 2006
Not really sure what is causing this, but as we'll be upgrading tomorrow then that should hopefully sort out the problem :). If it did still happen for whatever reason, do let me know as perhaps it's something I can troubleshoot from this end.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
thanks Ian ... will wait and see what happens

It probably is some weird IE11 bug

it definitely ISNT an upload/download speed problem

Dave