Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Which Raspberry Pi?

Spike124

Aug 11, 2015
image.jpg Hiya, a friend of mine recently donated a Raspberry Pi board toward myself & my 'help me build robots' fund. I was wondering if there is a way to tell WHICH Raspberry Pi board it is, before I purchase a SD card pre-loaded with NOOBS & find out it's the wrong version for this board! Thank you

Last edited:

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
View attachment 21532 Hiya, a friend of mine recently donated a Raspberry Pi board toward myself & my 'help me build robots' fund. I was wondering if there is a way to tell WHICH Raspberry Pi board it is, before I purchase a SD card pre-loaded with NOOBS & find out it's the wrong version for this board! Thank you
Right off the bat.
Looks like a Raspberry Pi Model B.

The Raspberry Model A, does not have an ethernet port,
The Model B looks just like yours, and the Model B+ has 4 USB ports instead of 2.

Spike124

Aug 11, 2015
Right off the bat.
Looks like a Raspberry Pi Model B.

The Raspberry Model A, does not have an ethernet port,
The Model B looks just like yours, and the Model B+ has 4 USB ports instead of 2.
Muchos Gracias, My Friend. Now I'm gonna get the SD Card. Thanks again. ✌

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
you could save yourself a couple of bucks (or pounds, or whatever your currency is) and just follow the guide they have on their homepage

https://www.raspberrypi.org/help/noobs-setup/

learning this is also useful when you want to hot swap for other projects but still keep the settings for your last project

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
and I just found out windows 10 is now available on pi... that's new

Spike124

Aug 11, 2015
you could save yourself a couple of bucks (or pounds, or whatever your currency is) and just follow the guide they have on their homepage

https://www.raspberrypi.org/help/noobs-setup/

learning this is also useful when you want to hot swap for other projects but still keep the settings for your last project
I've just bought the NOOBS SD Card. So I'm gonna spend my Saturday evening exploring & learning while the Mrs watches X Factor! Might build a 'Destroy Simon Cowell Death-Bot'!!! Lol!

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
I think windows 10 s only available for the Next generation Raspberry Pi B. I think it's the Pi 2 B.
As far as a desktop environment, I've heard some gross privacy concerns, but it appears as though most issues can be resolved.
When it comes to embedded devices, Windows 10 is incredibly basic. Many feel it's better to use a linux spin-off on a Pi than windows 10.

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
for something that people know windows 10 is an idea.... personally after installing it I deleted it.... just no fun
Linux for pi is so much better, if you know the sudo codes etc. I hate them so am trying to find a hybrid or cheat sheet and make an arduino macro maker. 1 button sends a macro to pi, that tells it the sudo code I want..... but that's down the track a bit. best of luck with your projects.