Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Which End Normally Has Power?

Dustin Smith

Jun 27, 2012
So, I've been wondering if anyone follows any routines when installing electrical connectors. Please answer the following question.

1. When I install electrical connectors....
A. I put the female end on the 'hot' side, according to conventional theory.
B. I put the female end on the 'ground' side, according to conventional theory.
C. I don't ever think about it.
D. None of the above.

Or, have you noticed manufactures place them one way or the other? Also, In some cases, it really seems to make no difference for safety, because both female and male connectors have no exposed terminals.

Ok, just waiting for the feedback.
P.S. I try to do A, but I guess I'm not always conscious of what I'm doing.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Which connectors and which conventional theory? No idea to what your heading refers.

Dustin Smith

Jun 27, 2012
Electrical Connectors in general. Any type of connection with a female and male end which must be put together in order to complete an electrical connection. Conventional Electrical theory states that electrons flow from the positive potential to the negative potential, as opposed to Electron theory which states electrons flow from the negative potential to the positive potential. Or at least that's how I remember it.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
If any connection is of such a level that poses a safety hazard the Live or feed side would be a female receptacle.
If using anything classed as Low Voltage, then either could be chosen, but I normally stick the the former method, regardless.
Of course male connectors can have exposed terminals.
An example was one Chinese supplier of CNC power supplies that used the PC AC 3 pin male type supply socket as an outlet creating a dangerous condition, until it was shut down.
M.

Dustin Smith

Jun 27, 2012
Well it's not a big deal, I've taken too much of your time already I'm afraid.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Well it's not a big deal, I've taken too much of your time already I'm afraid.
Best advice one could give is, 1.....don't mess with anything live and 2..... If mains level, go to advice note 1 and get a lecky.