Maker Pro
Maker Pro

What transformer is this?

turbomint

Jun 20, 2017
Hi, I am (not totally) new to electronics and have a question about this specific transformer:

e9B7TQ

mk17TQ

My question is where can I buy a transformer/coil like this? Or at least what is the name of these transformers, I just need a specific word to google about it.
Its about 6.5 cm long and has a 2.5cm diameter. All i can see is the primary coil, the secondary is covered under the plastic foil. Is it kind of tesla coil?

Many thanks and have a nice day,

Milos

Edit1: i dont see the pics, so I guess I failed in some way.
here are the links:
https://ibb.co/e9B7TQ
https://ibb.co/mk17TQ

Last edited by a moderator:

turbomint

Jun 20, 2017
It is used in a Violet-Ray-like device like a Tesla Coil to generate high voltage I guess. I cannot find anything similar-looking to it. When I google Tesla coil it results in...finding lots of Tesla coils :) but not this rolled up thing I need.

Milos

turbomint

Jun 20, 2017
I dont now in fact, I see there are more windings covered under plastic foil (on the first pic where my fingers are). It has aswell 4 wires, where 2 of them are thicker than the other two, this was the reason I guessed its a transformer.

Thank you guys!
Milos

turbomint

Jun 20, 2017
One thinner and one thicker wire are connected together to a capacitor which then goes in an amp.
The second thicker wire goes directly in the amp. The last thinn wire goes in the electrode which I then use to massage my face

Milos

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Anyone consider it being a Ferrite line balun / filter ?
2 wires in 2 wires out
Try placing a STRONG super magnet . . . .read as neobdmium . . . right up against the clear covering.
It should be equally attracted to it for any position up and down the length of that clear covering.
I frankly think that is what the contriviance is.
Second consideration:
An impedance converting transformer . . . if a low impedance ultrasonic signal is coming in at the left and then converting upwards in impedance to properly mate to a piezo design of driver.
OR CONVERSELY . . . if a high impedance ultrasonic signal is coming in at the left and then converting downwards in impedance to mate with a magnetostrictive type of ultrasonic driver.

The expected frequency spectrum should be "friendly" enough with a DVM in its AC frequency and voltage range capabilities, to be able to meter the incoming and outgoing voltage level to then differentiiate between a higher input voltage than an output voltage . . . .OR CONVERSELY . . . to detect which of the transforming actions is being accomplished.
OR the same voltage in versus voltage out . . . . .suggestive of a RFI / filter balun function.
AND THEN . . . there are people which own scopes and know how to use them for analysis . . . . .

73's de Edd

Last edited:

turbomint

Jun 20, 2017
Ok guys, I think I got it! Thank you for you help.

The "thing" is a simple Tesla coil with a tank capacitor(4mf). Nothing really special.
The really question is now where can I buy coils like this?

If somebody is interested in this stuff, I have found a few good websites about this topic. PN me.
( I dont know if I am allowed to post links to other sites)

Milos

PS: I dont own a scope, I am just interested in electronics, especially about the buzzing and sparking stuff. :)

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Tell us more -Tell us more- Tell us more ! . . . . . . .a la Grease.

With what you initially told us, made me think of an ultrasonic face massager .

Does the coiled blue wire, break out and become the two left white wires which we see?
Are there any glass electrodes on the end connection which might be an item which is pressed onto the skin and then, an internal gas will glow with a violet glow as skin contact is made with the glass tube.
If your magnetic testing of the mystery component did not reveal any magnetic attraction, the mystery device is more apt to be a film capacitor, but 4 microfarads seems totally - totally unrealistic for " resonating" at the frequency being involved.
I think you that your whole system is merely a high voltage and frequency generator that is just capable of getting gas to ionize within a sealed hollow glass electrode facial contact wand and have the tubes contact area to the skin creating a weak source of ozone on the skin area being touched.

Google . . . . .and then research . . . .you're gonna love this . . . ." Quack medical devices of the past ".
Of course you can see the WIDE ranges and arrays of cures, they claim to be affected.

Last edited:

turbomint

Jun 20, 2017
Yes, you are right Edd! I wrote that earlier, I just called it a Violet-Ray device. It is also called violet wand (or similar) and its for massaging, totally right.
And the capacitor which you mentioned is pretty big. But it is not the "coil-thing" I need. The problem is only that I cannot find a source to buy such coils. And yes, the coil is on one end connected to a glass electrode filled with gas which emits a beautiful blueish-violet light.

I dont know how many hours I spend already searching for coils that actually look similar to mine. I couldnt find anything.

Milos