Nov 17, 2011
How do you define success?
- earn heaps of money?
- have fun at work?
- do something useful for society?
- be renowned?

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
It seems like social skills can beat technical skills.
There are desirable engineering jobs and there are the rest, depending on what you consider desirable.

Your question seems lazy like you don't want to put forth much effort, or else you would have written more than a mere 9 words on your own topic.

That would be a mistake if you want to be an engineer. Social skills are important for many reasons, but possibly less important for an engineer compared to ability, which follows effort.

Lazy 9 word post... you don't have the motivation, either it's in you by the way you think and approach life or it isn't.

Social skills don't beat or replace core engineering skills, it seems like you are young and not realizing that you can't BS your way through a trade that requires that you, not someone else, makes a solution.

Last edited:

OBW0549

Jul 5, 2016
What makes a successful engineer?
Intelligence, a disciplined mind, technical knowledge, attention to detail, an ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing, and a LOT of hard work.

Based on your past posts, I know you won't like this-- but you do also need to be able to solder.

It seems like social skills can beat technical skills.
"Can" is not the same as "will."

It's possible that someone with outstanding social skills but poor technical ability might be luckier at landing an engineering job than someone possessing good technical know-how but lacking in social skills; but once that person's incompetence becomes clear, he will be back out on the street in short order.

Omega Supreme

Oct 9, 2014
It seems like in some work environments, the people who work hard and go the extra mile get passed over. They get used, treated badly, and are not appreciated.

While those who sit around and don’t do much, get promoted.

Haven’t you experienced this type of reverse reality?

OBW0549

Jul 5, 2016
It seems like in some work environments, the people who work hard and go the extra mile get passed over. They get used, treated badly, and are not appreciated.

While those who sit around and don’t do much, get promoted.

Haven’t you experienced this type of reverse reality?
Never, not even once in my 40+ years as a design engineer. Competent people get promoted, slackers get passed by. And sheer idiots just get fired.

Omega Supreme

Oct 9, 2014
How do you define success?
- earn heaps of money?
- have fun at work?
- do something useful for society?
- be renowned?

Having fun while making a lot of money.

Is a six figure salary out of my reach?

I want to be the one in the office relaxing, with my feet on top of the desk.

I want a golden parachute.

I want to be untouchable.

I want my organization to be self-sufficient, run itself, so I can relax, have fun, and enjoy life.

I want to lay by the pool with a drink in my hand, and not have a care in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.