Maker Pro
Maker Pro

What is this???

LectricCircuit

Apr 7, 2017
I think it's a transformer but I'm not sure and if it is I don't know how to tell the specs for it so if someone could tell me what this is and the specs if possible.

Attachments

• IMG_3874.JPG
    IMG_3874.JPG
    248.4 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_3875.JPG
    IMG_3875.JPG
    233.1 KB · Views: 73

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
You show no images of the other side of the part, so it is impossible to tell. Hi-pot testing usually is between a transformer's primary and secondaries, but it could be from a single inductor to the frame.

If you are sure it a) is undamaged, and b) has no other electrical connections, then it could be a custom designed choke for an old Astec power supply. Old, because Astec's name changed to Emerson, then to Artesyn.

ak

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Sure looks like a transformer to me. It looks like it was stamped 'Hi Pot' after it was manufactured, which makes me believe somebody at the factory tested it, and then stamped it that way to verify that it had been tested before leaving the factory.
As AnalogKid asked, are there any other identifying markings on the other side of the transformer, or stamped into the metal frame?
Can you tell us what it came out of, and maybe someone can find more information about it that way?

LectricCircuit

Apr 7, 2017
AnalogKid was right on with that one. After further research came to find out it is a custom choke for an old power supply. Thanks a lot.