What is this part

Discussion in 'Datasheets, Schematics, Manuals and Parts' started by Joebrad27, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Joebrad27

Joebrad27

Hi can any one please tell me what this circuit is, on the box it says 3 amp control, isolate before opening.
    Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

Joebrad27, Apr 20, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. Joebrad27

Minder

Appears to some kind of AC-AC inverter?
    M.

Minder, Apr 20, 2017
    1. Advertisements

3. Joebrad27

73's de Edd

Sir Joebrad27 . . . . .

Dammmmmmn . . . . Joe . . . . you rated a reply from both EINSTEIN and 'ole Numb-nutz here . . . .

I am not particularly seeing 3A principal power devices on that board, with the sole two heaviest discrete power items being the two metal film resistors , one of which is connected back to the illumination medium of the lighting source internal to the switch. The main adjustment pot is being a 100k . . .which is somewhat upwards from what we would typically see being associated with a power supply.

We confirm that this of circa 1996-1997 vintage, with this actual design evolvement being related to earlier times.

At the terminal blocks we see the N N1 L2 L1 assignments . . . soooooooo in case this unit does get AC line connected, I could see 1 of the 5 polyester white block and a power resistor serving as an AC dropper function to feed to a Zener to get a low voltage power supply associated with the 5 small signal semis in the rear. BUT I see no filter capacitors of any size excepting the two lilliputian sized small black units. (What are their cap values and voltage ratings ?)

They did seem to have placed a power switch and a fuse that is probably greater than THIS particular board justifies UNLESS they are switching and looping the switched output to a larger power related associative assembly in additional to somelow level info at the L and E terminals.

(Can you now further confirm, that there are no POWER FETS --BIPOLARS—FETs –SCRs or TRIACS sandwiched between the PCB and using the alum-nin-ninny-yum-yum front panel as a heat sink ? )

The rolling out the door / or/ ready for sale . . . final sticker . . .suggests this being at the 17th week of 1999.

The best identifier of the board proper would be the boards silk screening of the identifier
    BP (Band Pass ? )3 ~??SEL
    Issue 4
    Feb 96

With the particular interest on the

BP3 ~ ?? (Blue wire blocks out)SEL

I could see this board more frequency or filter related than anything else .

73’s de Edd

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2017
    73's de Edd, Apr 21, 2017
    Richard9025 likes this.
  4. Joebrad27

Joebrad27

Thanks for your detailed analysis of my thing, btw there is no other electronic components anywhere on the board that you cannot see in the photo, I greatly appreciate your hasty response and out of interest is there anything I could use this for, other than salvaging the parts.

Joebrad27, Apr 21, 2017
  5. Joebrad27

73's de Edd

Sir Joebrad27 . . .

If it was given to me and for me to use. I would consider the housing size, along with the markings on the faceplate and the illuminated power switch.
    Then use it to build or install either a varaiable speed control or a temperature adjustment for one of my standard 60 watt soldering irons.
    All of the other parts wold be pulled to go into parts storage. . . . BTW . . . . wwhat were the elect caps values 10 ufd ? and what are the semiconductors part #'s . . .expecting 2N39XX series or 2N2222 or 2N2907's.
    Plus that toroidal coil looks like possibly having only one winding . . .ergo only 2 connections.
    Do you even know where this came from, or the "type" of person / company that had it ?
    Or did it have absolute identity isolation, by being a $1 item at a yard / garage sale ?

73's de Edd

73's de Edd, Apr 21, 2017
    1. Advertisements