Maker Pro
Maker Pro

What can I replace a 6v 4a AC adapter with?

jagrav

Oct 7, 2016

Attachments

• 20170307_153812.jpg
    20170307_153812.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
My USB Hub requires a 6v 4a adapter. As shown in image. What can I replace this with because it is extremely difficult to find a 6v 4a. On tight budget - and I need to resolve this very soon as it is an essential part of my Music Production setup.

a 6V 4A PSU ( or one with higher current) one

Dave

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
An electronic product usually must be powered from the voltage it was designed to use then it will take only as much current as it needs.
A car battery can provide hundreds of Amps to a cold starter motor in winter but the clock in the car using the same very powerful battery takes only about 0.01 amps.

jagrav

Oct 7, 2016
An electronic product usually must be powered from the voltage it was designed to use then it will take only as much current as it needs.
A car battery can provide hundreds of Amps to a cold starter motor in winter but the clock in the car using the same very powerful battery takes only about 0.01 amps.

Thanks man!!! I think I finally understand this concept!!!

NickHammer

Mar 8, 2017
Hello! You can check on ebay for the buck converters (step down or step up modules) as AudioGuru said. what really matters is the Voltage. The device will only draw the amps it needs. You can have a powersupply that can supply you 70 amps and your device only needs 1 amp so it will draw only that amp. With those modules that i told you you can plug a regular power supply and on the other end you can manually set the voltage you want (the 6 volts you want) some of those modules have an led display that will give you the info you need. They cost around 5 dollars.

jagrav

Oct 7, 2016
Hello! You can check on ebay for the buck converters (step down or step up modules) as AudioGuru said. what really matters is the Voltage. The device will only draw the amps it needs. You can have a powersupply that can supply you 70 amps and your device only needs 1 amp so it will draw only that amp. With those modules that i told you you can plug a regular power supply and on the other end you can manually set the voltage you want (the 6 volts you want) some of those modules have an led display that will give you the info you need. They cost around 5 dollars.

Awesome! Im very grateful for al the great info!

So then! Another quick Q..

I Would not be able to use this >>

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buck-Step-d...563817?hash=item33ae7a02e9:g:gT8AAOSw5IJWcZxX

....straight from the wall socket because max input is 40v and I would fry the circuitry?

Thanks so much for your time!

jagrav

Oct 7, 2016
reread my first post :)

" More Amperage " << Thats how much shorter your message could have been. But really really, I don't blame you for forgetting that some of us are not so knowledgeable in certain aspects ( and in my head I was about 70% sure that Amperage equaled Current ) . I could have probably reacted the same if someone asked me about making a sandwich or something... ex. = Put Mayo on it!! > Is the mayo white or yellow? > PUT... MAYOOOOOO.... ON IT!!!
Anyway, Please don't take this the wrong way, I am very appreciative of your time and will to help others!!! I imagine after 11k posts some things are just not fair to you anymore... and I respect that FULLY!!! AGAIN! Thank you!

NickHammer

Mar 8, 2017
Awesome! Im very grateful for al the great info!

So then! Another quick Q..

I Would not be able to use this >>

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buck-Step-d...563817?hash=item33ae7a02e9:g:gT8AAOSw5IJWcZxX

....straight from the wall socket because max input is 40v and I would fry the circuitry?

Thanks so much for your time!

Yeah it will fry the module. You need to use any power supply for input. You must have an old charger at your house. Also that link is from a seller in china. Try to look for one near you.

NickHammer

Mar 8, 2017
Ok, so you have 2 options.

A- buy a 5 volt 10 amp power supply like this one. This power supplies usually have a potentiometer (this particular model has a white potentiometer right where it says ADJ) to adjust the voltage by 2 or 3 volts. Which means that you can use your screwdriver to adjust the voltage by screwing clockwise for more voltage or counterclockwise for less voltage. So all you have to do is plug the L and N to your regular outlet (110Volts) then plug your hub to the + and - terminals and screw about 2 or three times the potentiometer clockwise. I recommend you to use a voltimeter. Im 95% sure this will workout for you.

B- buy a step up or stepdown module like the one i stated above. Use an old power supply that is in the range of 4v to 40v and plug it where it says input and plug your hub on the output AFTER you set the 6Volts so you dont fry up your hub.