Maker Pro
Maker Pro

What are some books I should read?

valvefire

Jul 23, 2007
Hello,
I am a highschool student who regularly does programming in multiple languages, and I would like to start learning the hardware side to computers as well. I have an idea for a project to build my own video game system, and have games that are all homebrew. However, I don't know where to start exactly. I am not an idiot, and I haven't come for a "how do I make this" tutorial, but I need to know what I need to learn first.
This is a project that I will most likely be working on for a few years at least, and a trial and error type of thing. I know it's really ambitious, but it's not all I am going to be doing, it's just a project that will keep me motivated to continue learning about the functions of electronics.

But right now, first thing is first: What books (or other resources) would be a good starting point for a beginner?

The books don't need to be "kid friendly" or anything, they can be as boring as possible and they still won't compare to some programming books I have read cover to cover. So technicality and long explanations are fine, I just want to learn about it, and I would like a good book to start me off with a bang. They don't need to be geared specifically tword game console design or computer design (I doubt there are any books like that anyway.)

Thank,
Valvefire

Last edited:

neon

Oct 21, 2006
there is a book i believe it is called system analysis by philips & cutler it as so precious that somebody actualy stole from me. it had working problems to learn as you study. if you can find it let me know i like to rebuy it.