Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Weller EC1002 Repair

JimOliver

Feb 21, 2018
I'm trying to replace the controller in my EC 1002 solder station.

The replacement part control board I found (EC239) comes prewired with the rheostat
and receptacle for the soldering iron attached.

I can'y figure out how to remove the old receptacle from the faceplate to install the new one; can you help me?

Jim

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir Jim Oliver . . . .

How come I can't remember everything ! from all ! times ?

On one of my older Weller units, it was just a plastic nut from the inside that held the connector.

On yours I believe that it is now dependant upon 2 tapered tabs that are molded on the connector.
If you were inserting the connector in from the front, these two tabs on each side would make the connector unit
diameter too large to pass thru the cases hole. HOWEVER, as you then press the whole connector into the hole the taper on each of the tabs would let their while width compress and be able to pass the whole end thru the hole.
THEN after they just pass thru the hole they are no longer met with that diameter restriction so they SNAP outwards and then the inner side of the tabs take on their natural outward tensioning "memory" and lock the whole connector from moving OR being pulled out of the hole.

To reverse that action, which you now want to do, see if the spread out tips of needle nose pliers will let you micro adjust their closing, such that the pair of tabs will both then be able to be compressed inwardly.
Then you either have the soldering iron cable on the front, which I believe had a threaded connection so that a pull on the cable will pull on the connector to pop it out.

OR you press the connector from the rear to force it outward from the front . . . . . all the while you are keeping the two tabs compressed to that critical release diameter with the needlenose tips..
No problem on the reinstall as the clips just pop in and spread out to lock the connector .

NOW WUZ I RITE ?

73's de Edd