Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Watering system

gregrae

Jan 12, 2011
i have a dial EZY RSR 6 Station Irrigation controller . There is a port on the side which takes a rain Sensor ( name HOLMAN ) which when exposed to water will turn the Irrigation controller off.
I would like to make a rain Sensor for this unit but do not know where to start.
Can someone advise me how to make one.
Thank you

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
It seems that many of these rain sensors use material which expands when wet. This closes a switch. As it dries out and shrinks again the switch is turned off.

As such, anything which shorts out the (presumably) 2 connectors when wet, and for some time thereafter should do the trick.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
A slightly salty sponge with a couple of stainless steel probes stuck into it?

I've not done this so it's conjecture.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
I repaired a rain sensor many years ago for someone in the sunny south. It was corroded and the wires had dropped out of the seized connectors. The connectors were replaced and dosed with Waxoyl.
The sensor consisted of strip board with alternate strips connected to the cable. It apparently worked well to get the washing in as soon as a shower started.
I would have thought that a weight sensor would be better to control an irrigator.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Hey, great idea, a sponge on a wire connected to the lever of a microswitch. When there sponge gets wet, the switch closes. When it dries out enough, the switch turns back off

Placing the sponge under a funnel, and shielded from the wind may be a reasonable solution.

The length of the lever would probably adjust the sensitivity.

SalRu

Mar 16, 2017
Hi!

If you want to use something more accurate than a sponge you can use a rain sensor like this:
https://www.sensorinstock.it/en/various/762-tc440006814.html

It's like a capacitor which capacitance reveal if it's raining.

On the back of the sensor there is an heater which helps to avoid false reading caused by the humidity.

Hope to be helpful!

Bye!!