Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Want to fix my dinosaur: Who can fix a Sony CCD-FX730V?

Gunrnr

Jul 23, 2018
My Sony CCD-FX730V is a great little camera and plenty good enough for my uses. Unfortunately, it no longer opens up when the button is pushed and it sounds as though the belt(s) may be broken or slipped.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
It's a Video 8 cassette camcorder from the early '90s. It is not so great by standards a decade ago and now inferior to what the average phone can record. Plus, being mechanical, all the lovely rubber rollers and belts in it have dry rotted. Fix one and another breaks because you tried to USE it.

I know it seems valuable still based on what it cost 25 years ago, but so it goes with consumer tech, is really not worth repairing even if you had the parts and an instruction guide to do so, unless you really like puzzles and microsurgery to take it apart, and then, is the battery even good now or you need a new battery too, to get any useful runtime?

If you hadn't guessed yet, I'm trying to discourage this repair but if you must, you should take initiative and open it up to see where the fault lies. There is not likely to be any magic wand fix that will repair it without doing that much first.