Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Wall ovens, junction boxes and NEC code....

I have learned alot after positing my wall oven question. Ultimately, my current junction box is mounted on top of the drywall directly behind my walloven. The junction box is 1/2 inch to tall. (My oven likes about 1/2 inch to be able to go into the opening all the way back.

My options are to see if I can install the box where it is recessed into the wall or move the outlet, still within the same oven opening but higher.

This brought up someone mentioning an NEC code that says the junction box has to be "accessible". I am a little confused with this. My house was builtin the mid 90's. My current junction box is not "accessible" without removing the oven. None of the options I mentioned are "accessible" either. I could move the box into the upper cabinet which I guess then would be "accessible" but not without great difficulty trying to fish the think wire through the drywall wall.

Anyhow, is it acceptable to mount the junction box for the oven even with the wall like a regular outlet? Or is it better to move it? I want to do this the right way where there is no risk of fire but to be honest, the "accessible" junction box for a wall oven seems kind of silly.