Maker Pro
Maker Pro

WACOM PTZ-630 overheat=plastic housing on Mitsubishi chip

nfable

Sep 2, 2011
Hello all, I've recently had an issue with my MacBook Pro throwing out too much power from its USB (before SMC reset); it has claimed the life of a logitech keyboard (which I can live with) and my WACOM tablet that I use for my freelance work. It over heated these devices in specific areas before I could react and unplug.

Upon opening it up, I see some housing plastic has melted on a chip, identified as a Mitsubishi M30240, M16C familiy from this site

WACOM model PTZ-630

When plugged in, the power indicator light is -faint- blue, so some power is coming through.

When stylus is NORMALLY used on pad this blue (usually much brighter) light turns green indicating tracking - This no longer happens, and no color change of light.

I've opened it up, showing the housing area that melted and the chip as it appears now.
Wacom_MELT_01.jpg

Here is a detailed image of the chip in question and the connections that corresponds to it on the board's reverse from the site referenced above.
Wacom.Intuos3.a4a5large.jpg

Is this salvageable?

I was thinking some of the melted plastic may just be interfering with the current as its spilling on the connections, could scraping it away help?

Any advice welcome,
thx for the time
nf

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
That looks like a very dead cpu due to overheating.

nfable

Sep 2, 2011
Quite... any leads on where to get a replacement?
It is a Mitsubishi(?) M30240M5-111FP

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I didn't see any on the Google searches you probably checked also.
You could try finding a company that repairs them?
Frankly, that's some pretty heavy damage. I would think your board has
other problems too. Replacing the CPU might only provide you a short additional
life-span without a thorough check-out.
If I were you, I'd check ebay for a replacement unit, or a broken unit you might be
able to salvage parts from, ...or your original idea, of just replacement of the device.
Good luck. I wouldn't just replace the CPU because I would assume something else
is wrong in the circuit that caused this damage.

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
laptop cpu

Hi nfable.
Yes as the other guys say there are probably other issues in the board, i would opt to replace it, not that this happened to your laptop, but i try to explain to my daughter she cant put a laptop on a bed quilt or cushion, and when ive insisted on a hard book surface or a large tea tray if on her lap i get odd looks, as if to say shut up dad.
I try to tell her the reasons for the air intake ports and the exhausted heated air and the reasons, but this is the biggest single killer of note books and lap tops, ive a friend in a pc shop and heat damage is really common, no doubt to covering the air vent slots. Dave. :)

nfable

Sep 2, 2011
Well, the root cause of this issue was using a 10v power adapter in a 5v hub connected to the device, and pow... one dead hub, keyboard and WACOM. So the damage is directly from that incident.

I guess there is no way to determine how much damage was caused in that incident and I don't know enough about circuitry to assert that it stopped at the melted chip and did not cause problems elsewhere. Just a pricey unit ($200+ US for used)