Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Voltage and current relation difference between Ohm's law and Power

bunny

Nov 4, 2015
Hi I am new to this forum According to Ohms law, at constant temperature voltage is directly proportonal to current.
But when we come to power formula p=vi which means that V is inversly proportional to I. How can we justify this?
Thanks to all in advance.

bunny

Nov 4, 2015
Yar i know that both are not same but they relate same things no? and that to a law must be satisfied for all the things. We know that ohms law is valid only for ohmic conductors but power is same formula no?

Last edited by a moderator:

garublador

Oct 14, 2014
Yar i know that both are not same but they relate same things no?and that to a law must be satisfied for all the things.We know that ohms law is valid only for ohmic conductors but power is same formula no?
I'm not sure I understand the question. Here's an image that shows all of the different ways to relate power, voltage, current and resistance:

Ohm's_Law_Pie_chart.svg

What do you believe isn't able to be justified?

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
But when we come to power formula p=vi which means that V is inversly proportional to I. How can we justify this?

No, it doesn't. There is nothing to justify because your statement is incorrect.

For a constant resistance, voltage is directly proportional to current.
For a constant power, voltage is inversely proportional to current.

ak

Last edited:

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
To go one step further, P= V*V/R and P=I*I*R.
These can be derived from Ohms law by substitution.

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Hi I am new to this forum According to Ohms law, at constant temperature voltage is directly proportonal to current.
What do you mean justify?
Adam

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013

First of all, Ohm's law is not V=I*R, and all its variations. Regardless of what predominates the electrical literature, a good physics book will tell you that Ohm's law is an electrical property of a material, specifically its electrical linearity. I can provide documentation for that statement if necessary.

So V=I*R is correct, but it is not Ohm's law. It is a definition. R is defined by the amount of current present at a specific voltage (R=V/I). Voltage is the electrical energy density of the charge (joules/coulomb). If V volts are lost to move Q coulombs of charge, then the energy expended is E=V*Q. Power is rate of energy and current is rate of charge. Dividing both sides of E=V*Q by t gives P=V*I.

Ratch