Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Vizio TV cuts off sides of picture

robertbobby

Jan 31, 2013
Hey all, I'm new here and it's out of desparation. Here is the story. I recently bought a new vizio TV for my living room. Thing works great, no issues. My problem lies in the old flat screen Vizio that is now in my basement. The sides of the pictures get cut off!

The picture seems to be fine with nothing being cut off when I watch TV (direct TV HD box). However, when I play my Wii or Xbox 360, the sides of the picture are gone. I've been through reading as much as I can read about other people have similar problems and have concluded, in my novice opinion, that the overscan is cutting off the picture. Well I have no way of adjusting the over scan as my TV was made in 2007 and is fairly old.

Here are model and serial numbers for the TV

Model #: VW37L HDTV10A
Serial # LSPAKBH3211772

Like I've said I've tried adjustments on the gaming consoles, different HD inputs and I've reset the TV and all consoles to original settings thinking something may have inadvertently gotten changed. I'm starting to come to the conclusion that there is little I can do. It doesn't affect gameplay significantly, it just bothers me that I can't figure it out. Please help! Thanks in advance, RB

robertbobby

Jan 31, 2013
I've recently been thinking. You can adjust the screen when you hook your computer up through the VGA input. There are adapters that I can buy to hook my Wii up through the same input. Would I still be able to adjust the screen through this input in the same manner I could when the computer was hooked up?

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Somebody will probably give you an explanation that specifically adresses your systems.
I'm thinking the difference may be settings for 'standard' or 'widescreen' displays.
That's usually adjustable depending on the manufacturer.

CommonPonder

Feb 3, 2013
I have a vizio tv and i know there's settings to change the screen size like shrtrnd was saying above. Normal mode will make the sides all around cut off as well as widescreen, but widescreen just cuts off the top and bottom. That only applies when your watching normal tv tho, if you're having trouble only when your playing xbox, it might be because either your xbox is having problems displaying through HD, or your settings on your vizio tv are not in game mode for your xbox. It could also be just cause of age and your tv just has a deficiency somewhere. That i don't know about and you may just have to call the company or get professional help on tv repairs

geekygenius

Jan 21, 2013
I think in the Wii settings menu under options, then screen, there is a place to adjust it to compensate.