Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Vizio E470i-AO television has a black screen. Which part do I replace?

Anthony_Starfield

Nov 20, 2015
This television belonged to Cory, my flat mate. The screen went black. And he said if I can fix it, I can have it.

It's a Vizio, model e470i-AO. The sound works fine. He used this television as a computer monitor. We hooked it up to his computer. We could hear the sound from one of his video games.

I shone a flashlight at an angle against the screen. We could see a dim image from the menu of his video game.

From what I have read, this means the LED back light is bad.

My question is, what part do I replace?

I have repaired several notebook computers. But working on a television is new for me.

Is there a separate power board that runs just the LEDs?

Also, I don't want to use this television. It's way too large for me. If I can fix it, I will just sell the thing. Is it worth the time, money and effort to repair this television?

Thank you much for your help! Happy Trails, Anthony

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
First thing to do is to open it up to access the power supply and check for the obvious faults.

Does it definitely have LED backlighting? If not, you may be looking at a high voltage power supply for CCFL's. In either case you'll be looking for the same stuff initially.

Just remember that once you open the monitor up, there are deadly voltages inside.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
When LED TV back lights fail it is usually because one of the LEDs in the strips on the rear of the LCD panel has gone short. They are an easy fix but........

First you have to find a replacement LED strip - replacing the individual LEDs isn't easy. The strips are available as 'left or right' and you need to get the correct one. They are available via eBay (and others) and cost from $10 to $50 - depends on model.

The hardest part is the actual job.... the TV has to be almost completely dismantled. If you're lucky the whole display panel will come out as a complete module but for many TV's I've done this on the disassembly means lifting out the LCD panel itself (after all the various dismantling has been done to get to it - polarising sheets, light filters etc) and this is one very fragile task! You can feel your chocolate starfish pukkering as you lift the panel clear - well I did, the last one I did was a really expensive set and the screen was huge!

Once the panel is out the LED swap is plug in..... dead easy.

Thing is, you won't know which LED strip (or how many - sometimes more than one needs changing) until you have it apart........