Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Virtual reality magnetic position tracker help

juanfhj

Oct 26, 2010
Hi. I'm working on a virtual reality magnetic position tracker for motion capture. I wrote about it in Circuit Cellar 133, and I'm planning to improve it (you can check it out at
).

Basically I have to measure very tiny magnetic fields. In the current tracker, the user is inside a cube with strong fields. For the next version I want to have a small magnetic field generator instead.

For this, I have to measure tiny magnetic fields with field sensors. Now, these sensors have a lot of noise, so I need to filter the signal. It's not straightforward, cos the circuit operates at 100 kHz, so no active filters here. I thought switched capacitor, which would be the first time I try my hand at it.

Sure there is the standard switched cap schematics, but these don't take advantage of the fact that the phase of the input signal is known. So I'm trying to figure out a custom switched cap circuit that uses this information. Some sort of variation on the LMF100.

Basically I want to charge the capacitors in tune with the generated magnetic fields. I thought a custom topology could achieve this, rather than going for a generic design.

Any pointers to an appnote or something? I also can mail a copy of the article to anyone interested.

Thanks

Juan Herrera
Grad student
Universidad EAFIT
Colombia

lemox

Jan 18, 2011
3d tracker

Hi,

I am interested in a development of a 3d tracker for medical applications, but I am just starting up with this technology.

I am a professor at the University of Antioquia, working in a project in which 3d tracking is needed, we are exploring to buy a commercial solution (expensive!), but I think that is a good idea to implement our own 3d tracker.

I have found some useful information, even I have also read your paper at circuit cellar printed ten years ago!!! jeje. I am an electronic engineer with experince in electronic design, if you are still interested we can work together.

contact me at:
jdlemos{arroba}udea.edu.co