Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Video rotation

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Sorry - just typing the question made me think of the answer!

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
LOL - ok.... I'll elaborate.

I want to make a video monitoring system that works on the principle of a vertically mounted HD camera with optical zoom (40x) - only because I have one lying around doing nothing....

The idea was to make a system that allowed full 360 pan and limited tilt. The rotation would be done by placing a first-surface mirror at 45 degrees to the lens and rotating the mirror, not the camera. This allows high speed rotation and infinite movement (no wire coiling).

If you made such an arrangement the video image would itself 'rotate' on the viewing screen unless its rotation was compensated. I know you can get simple software to rotate a picture 45/90/270 degrees but I can't find any that do continuous 360 degree on the fly.

I realise that I could achieve this using a webcam and USB or even webcam and wi-fi but they would require some form of commutation to keep power/signal connections and the added complication of the zoom lens control just means more fiddly interfacing.

If I could get software to correct the image orientation then the camera remains fixed in place and can be controlled over a cabled connection (distance isn't an issue so a cable is fine).

My 'answer' was the KISS principle and use a USB webcam, forgoing the zoom function. That way I could commutate the power and data as there are only four wires - assuming the commutation allows for high speed data (I doubt it) but an opto-coupled data connection is feasible.

So..... does '42' get me the video correction software or what? :D