Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Vibrating Butterflies how make them flutter?

Trish

Dec 28, 2016
Perhaps someone can help me.

Using the following, 5pcs DC 3V 10mm Micro Motor Coin Flat Vibrating Motor (Amazon),
I want to attach approximately 5 fake butterflies (Decorative Purple Butterfly 3" Artificial Fake Butterflies BF767X24 (Amazon), to a silk flower arrangement (also fake), and be able to turn a vibrator on and off with a switch. Each butterfly will have a tiny spring from a ball point pin attached under the belly and the other end attached (super glue) on the other end of the spring. I look at the 10mm Micro Motor Coin (above) but have no idea how all 5 motors can be attached to power.

How do I connect all five vibrators to power?

Where do I attach the on/off switch?

I know this is hard to imagine . The butterflies will sit on a round piece of cardboard, their spring slightly hidden. This flower arrangement hands on the wall. I can place the butterflies at least 2 inches from the wall allow any mechanism to have room to hide.

I have searched and search on youtube, but I can't find anything similar.

Trish

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
How do I connect all five vibrators to power?
Connect the open ends of all blue wires together (solder is best, if you have a solderig iron).
Connect the open ends of all red wires together.
Connect the blue end to the 3V battery's '-' pole.
Connect the red end to one pole of the switch, connect the other end of the switch to the battery's '+' pole.

For battery use a holder for 2*AA cells or 2*AAA cells. This will give you a tad less than 3 V when the batteries run low but the motors will likely worh down to 2.5 V or even less.
Or use a 3.3 V lithium cell (e.g. Cr2032) but be aware of the much smaller capacity (the number in mAh given on or for the battery) which means the battery will run low much faster than a pair of AAs or AAAs.
The 3.3 V from the lithium cell should work well, the motors should take the slight overvoltage without a hickup.

Very probably it doesn' matter which color goes to which pole. Using blue for '-' and red for '+' is customary.

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Be aware that these motors may not be intended for prolonged use, if they were originally designed for in-phone vibrators.

Trish

Dec 28, 2016
Thanks Harald and Alec for your advice. It may take me a while to get all the moving parts to react with each other, but I am if nothing else, a determined woman. I doubt that the butterflies will be put to there test very often nor for very long. I hope to capture a short video and post it here on this most helpful FORUM!

Happy New Year...