Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Variable resistor pinouts

vinod chandran

Jun 21, 2011
Hi,
i am confused about these type of circuit symbols. plz look this image i attached. tell me how to wire this?. input goes to which number and output goes to which number?.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 8,495

vinod chandran

Jun 21, 2011
Hi dave
I am sorry, i can't understand anything. why did the output pin (wiper) goes to that pin ?.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
This is a variable resistor going from about zero to about 100k. Resistors can be connected either way round so you could interchange p1 and p2/p3 without problems.
There may well be an optimum way of connection in that the control would work the oposite way wih the connections the other way round. Volume controls on radios increase the sound level when turned clockwise, it would be strange if they needed to be turned anticlockwise to increase the sound.
Some variable resistors are linear, the resistance changes by an equal amount as the control is changed, some have a logarithmic response and some an antilog response to make the resistance change more sensitive to rotation at one end or the other.

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
variable preset

Hi again.
I take it you got the idea now, Duke37's post above should have explained it as simple as is possible, any way the link to the site i left covers lots of different components, tips, and some projects, all in all its a good site, a lot can be learned in there. Dave. :)

vinod chandran

Jun 21, 2011
Hi again.
I take it you got the idea now, Duke37's post above should have explained it as simple as is possible, any way the link to the site i left covers lots of different components, tips, and some projects, all in all its a good site, a lot can be learned in there. Dave. :)

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the reply. Now i am going to connect the two pins into one. that means pin 1 of the pot will connect to input. pin 2 and 3 goes to output. Anyway that site is very helpful as u said. i bookmarked that site six months ago.

vinod chandran

Jun 21, 2011
This is a variable resistor going from about zero to about 100k. Resistors can be connected either way round so you could interchange p1 and p2/p3 without problems.
There may well be an optimum way of connection in that the control would work the oposite way wih the connections the other way round. Volume controls on radios increase the sound level when turned clockwise, it would be strange if they needed to be turned anticlockwise to increase the sound.
Some variable resistors are linear, the resistance changes by an equal amount as the control is changed, some have a logarithmic response and some an antilog response to make the resistance change more sensitive to rotation at one end or the other.

Hi Duke
Thanks for the reply.

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
I know this will probably confuse you, but you can also connect p1 p2 and p3 to all different connections and then p2 would be more like a variable voltage pin out. Since the resistance on either side makes up a voltage dividing network.

vinod chandran

Jun 21, 2011
I know this will probably confuse you, but you can also connect p1 p2 and p3 to all different connections and then p2 would be more like a variable voltage pin out. Since the resistance on either side makes up a voltage dividing network.

Thanks Jackorocko,
Actually this is from a passive subwoofer filter ciruit.