Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Using Solid State Relay to Light up a Bulb

raziiq

Nov 18, 2009
Hi there.

I have got this Solid State Relay , and i wanna make a circuit so that i can use this relay to take an input of 5V and give me an output of 110V (enough to lightup a bulb of almost 60WATT).

What else do i need to make this circuit?

BTW i have heard that breadboards are not a good choice to deal with high voltage, what should be the choice then?

raziiq

Nov 18, 2009
BTW here is the pic of the SSR i have.

IMG_0783.jpg

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
I'm hesitant about your understanding of electricity & safety, please be careful.
First, I don't see how a breadboard can be of any use in this circuit.
You need 5V, 110V, 5 pieces of wire, 1 socket, 1 bulb.
Wire the bulb in series with terminal 1 or 2, and then connect the other terminal and the other end of the bulb to 110V.
Apply 110V.
When you then apply 5V to terminals 3 & 4 the bulb will light.

But you already know that from replies on the other board you also posted in:
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=30302

raziiq

Nov 18, 2009
Thanks for the replies.

I have a very little knowledge about these high voltage AC circuits so i am trying to gather as much info as possible before jumping into this kinda stuff, thats why i am posting in other forums too.

Ok then forget about the breadboard, i ll not use it.

You said i need to wire the bulb with Terminal 1 or 2 in Serial, can you please elaborate this? Did you mean to connect the the terminal 1 or 2 of SSR to the -ve(GND) of the Bulb?

Last edited:

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
No problem posting in several forums, but I saved myself a whole lot of typing when I happened to discover that.
The circuit you posted here is just the way it's supposed to be.
The SF20DPS-H1-4 has a built-in resistor in series with it's IR-diode and is specified to work with an input between 4 and 7 Volts.
I don't know though how much current it draws, and how much current the Arduino ouput is capable of delivering.
If the output from the Arduino is too weak then the voltage will be too low and it might not work properly. In that case you only have to add a transistor on the breadboard.
There are several configurations possible in that instance, but if you use the emitter-follower configuration you don't even need an extra resistor.
A diode is only required across the coil of an ordinary relay.

raziiq

Nov 18, 2009
No problem posting in several forums, but I saved myself a whole lot of typing when I happened to discover that.
The circuit you posted here is just the way it's supposed to be.
The SF20DPS-H1-4 has a built-in resistor in series with it's IR-diode and is specified to work with an input between 4 and 7 Volts.
I don't know though how much current it draws, and how much current the Arduino ouput is capable of delivering.
If the output from the Arduino is too weak then the voltage will be too low and it might not work properly. In that case you only have to add a transistor on the breadboard.
There are several configurations possible in that instance, but if you use the emitter-follower configuration you don't even need an extra resistor.
A diode is only required across the coil of an ordinary relay.

Arduino pin delivers 40mA of current, i think it should be ok to use with SSR, or should i somehow calculate the amount of current required for SSR to operate?

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
Ok, you're good to go then, 40mA should be plenty, the SSR surely draws less than 20mA, more likely around 10.
But you'd have to measure the actual current if you'd want to know for sure. I found no data on the net about the resistance or current.

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
It'll work just as well, using loads from 2 to 110W, and has an input current of 10 to 17mA.
It'll have to be soldered on a PCB, or maybe it can be used with "screw terminals in-a-row".

raziiq

Nov 18, 2009
thank you :)

BTW what kind of wires do you recommend for this project?

I am thinking of using the Normal LAMP wire. I ll cut it and use it between SSR and AC Voltage and use the simple BreadBoard(May be wires inside the LAN cable) between Arduino and SSR. is it OK?

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
You're welcome. :)
Yes, that sounds like the way I'd be doing it so I guess that's ok.

raziiq

Nov 18, 2009
Good then.

In some other forum a guy suggested that i must use a Fuse between the AC voltage and SSR , according to him a fuse of 0.5Amp will do the purpose, what do you suggest Sir?

Also he posted this diagram, which makes quite a lot sense to me

35471d1258604707-using-solid-state-relay-light-up-bulb-plug_socket.jpg

But as i m here in Japan and we use 100V in Japan and have only 2 knob plug like this

plug_a.bmp

So i think that diagram wont need to change much, right?

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
A fuse is never wrong, but it's not absolutely imperative to use one. The mains circuit is fused for the wire gage used in the house. It's allowed to plug lamp wiring into this.
That being said you might want to protect the SSR itself against inadvertent overload. Use a quick acting fuse rated 50% higher than the SSR's current rating. For example 1.5A. This is commonly used in dimmers. 0.5A would only allow you to use up to a 40W bulb.
Large bulbs (E27) usually have a fuse built into their base, but not the small ones (E14). When the bulbs filament breaks a plasma ball may be created, shorting out the whole inside of the bulb. The small bulbs may therefore create a very high short-circuit current only limited by the house fuse (I've seen bulbs blown out of their own socket). This surge could also take out the SSR if not protected by a smaller fuse.
I don't know if this is a common occurrence with 100V mains, but it is with 230V.

Yes, without the ground prong you just ignore it, nothing in the diagram changes.

When you do build this try to think ahead of possible hazards, ensuring that no live wiring points can come loose and touch anything else, even in the event of a drop/breakage.

raziiq

Nov 18, 2009
thanks for the reply.

BTW what if i use a SSR which will give me a current output of only 1A MAX, as i need to light up a bulb which is only 60WATT and according to the following

P = IE
I = P/E = 60/100 = 0.6A

So i think i can use a SSR with following attributes

IN: 4~7VDC
OUT: 100~220VAC
Current OUT : 1A Max

Whats your say on this?

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
Yes that's perfectly ok, it's the one I was thinking about when I suggested using a 1.5A fuse.
The other SSR you had was rated at 20A and should stand a bulb-short without the protection of an extra fuse.

raziiq

Nov 18, 2009
The other SSR you had was rated at 20A and should stand a bulb-short without the protection of an extra fuse.

What did you mean by that? Sorry couldnt get you

Last edited:

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
The big one you posted a picture of in your first post can handle 20A (2kW) and would be able to withstand a short where only the house fuse protects the circuit, so you wouldn't need any extra fuse.

raziiq

Nov 18, 2009
Ok got it.

Now i am gonna experiment with 1A and 2A SSR which will need a fuse right? Since the 20A SSR is a bit shabby and i dont wanna take risk.

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
Yes, the small ones are better off with a fuse (50% bigger than their rating).
Even if the big one looks shabby I wouldn't have any concerns about using it.
Good luck, take care.