Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Using smd solder paste on pc board that no smd on pc board

mrel

Jul 2, 2008
Hello
I have few questions about solder paste.
(1) On ebay when seller sell solder paste does that mean contain solder mix with flux in a tube.
(2) Can I use solder paste meant to be use on SMD parts,on pc board that has regular resistor and capacitor that had leads come out on back side of the pc board ,from there i put solder paste on leads and use a hot air gun to melt solder paste,would that work?
mrel

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
1. yes
2. yes - but why? Normal rosin-cored solder and a soldering iron is the usual method. But whatever floats your boat!

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
1. Read the description carefully and look at the pictures. Solder paste should contain metal solder balls but if the seller is foreign they could use inaccurate language to describe what they're selling. You could link to a product.

2. It can work but will probably take a lot more time and be more expensive in the long term, and you will have more flux to clean off the board when you're finished. Consider whether the finished board can tolerate a large quantity of solvent whether it be alcohol or water (depends on type of flux in the paste). If that solvent isn't water then it is also an additional expense.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Beware that some eBay sellers describe flux as "solder paste", and that flux is available in tubes almost identical to solder paste.