Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Using Resistor as Dummy Load

Ben W.

Mar 2, 2017
I apologize if this is a dumb question but here is my dilemma. I've been attempting to use two 10ohm 1W resistors set up in parallel to provide a constant 5 ohm load for a TEG(outputs anywhere from 1-3v). I have my system setup so that I measure voltage across the resistor i.e. - before + after the resistor. I was hoping that with these two values (voltage and resistance) I would be able to calculate how much power the TEG is generating. I did a short test but the numbers didn't quite add up. I'm now also worried that the resistors are providing enough of a load and that I'm just shorting the TEG. I don't know if I should change the resistance or if I'm taking a totally wrong approach to this. Any help or advice would be extremely appreciated. Thank You.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I apologize if this is a dumb question but here is my dilemma. I've been attempting to use two 10ohm 1W resistors set up in parallel to provide a constant 5 ohm load for a TEG(outputs anywhere from 1-3v). I have my system setup so that I measure voltage across the resistor i.e. - before + after the resistor. I was hoping that with these two values (voltage and resistance) I would be able to calculate how much power the TEG is generating. I did a short test but the numbers didn't quite add up. I'm now also worried that the resistors are providing enough of a load and that I'm just shorting the TEG. I don't know if I should change the resistance or if I'm taking a totally wrong approach to this. Any help or advice would be extremely appreciated. Thank You.

I have no idea what a TEG is ??
Presumably it is expecting a specific load resistance range where it efficiently generate the most output power ?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The teg is a bit like a solar panel in that you need to vary the load in order to extract the highest power.

With a fixed resistance load you will get a single data point for each temperature differential. You will not know if the load is allowing you to maximise the power output.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
The teg is a bit like a solar panel in that you need to vary the load in order to extract the highest power.

With a fixed resistance load you will get a single data point for each temperature differential. You will not know if the load is allowing you to maximise the power output.

cheers, Steve :)

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
I'm not exactly sure of what you're looking for. Are you desirous of a circuit that will automatically adjust the load resistance for maximum power dissipated in the load? If you're looking for something simpler you could use a high power wire wound Rheostat. If so you would have to manually plot E x I to find the maximum power point. These things aren't easy to find nowadays.

Chris

Ben W.

Mar 2, 2017
I'm not exactly sure of what you're looking for. Are you desirous of a circuit that will automatically adjust the load resistance for maximum power dissipated in the load? If you're looking for something simpler you could use a high power wire wound Rheostat. If so you would have to manually plot E x I to find the maximum power point. These things aren't easy to find nowadays.

Chris
Thanks for your advice. I did mange to find a rheostat and following you instructions I got exactly the result I wanted.

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
I'm glad to know that.

Chris