Maker Pro
Maker Pro

USB power

fenner

Aug 20, 2018
Please can somebody explain that when I plug in a usb powered fan in my laptop it functions correctly and the reading on the laptop voltage is 4.9v when I plug the same fan into a usb adapter from the 13amp mains socket with a voltage of 5.10v the fan intermittently jerks round at 70 rpm I also tried another usb adaptor with the same result.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir fenner . . . .

With the unit plugged into the laptop, one could expect max power to the fan from either the lap top battery OR the Lap tops external POWER BRICK.
When you are plugging into that other usb adaptor supply I am suspicioning its current capability output level to be at a max of the charge current supplied for charging an external device.
This is probably being LESS than your fan is needing and the voltage is pulling down and the converter is trying to compensate and bring up the voltage, but it is finding that it can't provide that additional power, so the unit is slow cycling in that attempt to correct.

You say . . . .
a usb adapter from the 13amp mains socket with a voltage of 5.10v

The question there, is if you measured that voltage under fan load, if not, you need to keep your DC metering continually monitoring that " 5.1 " volts to see if it STAYS at that level . . . . or if you find it to be pulling down and then rising in unison in the same manner that " the fan intermittently jerks round ".
If so, you might attempt to shunt a 1 thru 2000 ufd @ 12VDC electrolytic cap across the 5VDC USB adapter output to the fan to see if that will let it enhance its power capability slightly, on upward to your fans needs.

73's de Edd

fenner

Aug 20, 2018
Sir fenner . . . .

With the unit plugged into the laptop, one could expect max power to the fan from either the lap top battery OR the Lap tops external POWER BRICK.
When you are plugging into that other usb adaptor supply I am suspicioning its current capability output level to be at a max of the charge current supplied for charging an external device.
This is probably being LESS than your fan is needing and the voltage is pulling down and the converter is trying to compensate and bring up the voltage, but it is finding that it can't provide that additional power, so the unit is slow cycling in that attempt to correct.

You say . . . .
a usb adapter from the 13amp mains socket with a voltage of 5.10v

The question there, is if you measured that voltage under fan load, if not, you need to keep your DC metering continually monitoring that " 5.1 " volts to see if it STAYS at that level . . . . or if you find it to be pulling down and then rising in unison in the same manner that " the fan intermittently jerks round ".
If so, you might attempt to shunt a 1 thru 2000 ufd @ 12VDC electrolytic cap across the 5VDC USB adapter output to the fan to see if that will let it enhance its power capability slightly, on upward to your fans needs.

73's de Edd
Thank you 73's I didn't do that but will. Roy