Maker Pro
Maker Pro

USB Microwave Radar Trigger

Mr J

Feb 2, 2017
Hi there,

I'd like to build a circuit that activates a USB socket when a microwave radar goes off.

Here is the use case and more details:

When the radar senses the presence of someone within the protected bubble, it closes a circuit that will power a USB socket.
The whole circuit is powered via +5V.
Besides triggering the USB switch, the radar circuit should also be able to trigger an RF transmitter (those used for security and home automation).
There should be a switch that allows to deactivate the radar and bypass the radar trigger giving continuous power to the USB socket.

Two possible scenarios when the radar triggers the output:
1. The radar can keep the trigger activated (circuit closed), so that the USB and RFTx will be powered for as long as the radar senses the person.
OR
2. The radar will only give the initial trigger to close the circuit and an adjustable timer will set how long the circuit is closed for.

The radar circuit should be powered with 5V via micro USB so that it'd be easy to use it in many situations.
Alternatively, the input could be a 12V barrel jack, but then an additional circuit has to drop the voltage from 12V to 5V for the USB output.
The choice depends on finding a radar circuit and an RFTx which can work at 5V. 12V is more likely as far as I know.

Main components:
radar
micro USB socket / barrel jack
USB socket
timer
trimmer for timer
micro switch
voltage dropper (step down 12V to 5V)

Do you think I could find something similar already made? Like a simple USB socket triggered by a radar?
I am trying to find a good source of similar circuits. I found many on eBay but radar applications seem to be quite rare.

All the best.

Mr J

Feb 2, 2017
Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I found that specific radar component, but not applications or circuits that use it apparently.
The only option found so far is a radar doppler used in car alarms that comes in 12V and specific connectors for car alarms / automotive (it should be part of Falcon alarms).