Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Upgrading bluetooth antenna

NateKerr

Jul 8, 2018
Hi, I've recently decided to start making bluetooth speakers for a little extra money, but I'm having range issues with my most recent one. The first one has ok range, it's not the greatest but it's acceptable. The one I just made is awful, from even 5ft away it occasionally starts to cut out. The housings are made from old steel ammo cans, so I'm not at all surprised the range is bad. I had planned to add externally mounted antennas, but being a complete amateur I'm pretty lost after having looked into it. The antenna is integrated to the board, pictured here.Screen Shot 2018-07-07 at 7.47.57 PM.png
I had thought to cut out the original antenna and solder in a wire to an SMA connector that I'd add to the exterior of the can, but after looking into it I'm really unsure. If anyone has any advice for a novice, I'd really appreciate it

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The easiest solution would be to get similar boards that have an SMA connector rather than an integrated antenna. Then you can just purchase the appropriate antenna with an SMA termination.

It doesn't have to be an SMA termination, just make sure both are the same.

NateKerr

Jul 8, 2018
Yeah, after digging around I kinda figured that would be the best way to go. So there really isn't a good way to adapt an external antenna to this board?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Yeah, after digging around I kinda figured that would be the best way to go. So there really isn't a good way to adapt an external antenna to this board?

not really, without totally destroying matching and therefore the impedance and performance

Steve's suggesting is what I would go with ... but...but....

But your housing method could be looked at and improved and therefore no mods or new board would be required
Surely you realised that a metal box was going to act as a Faraday and pretty much kill the RF signal ?
Any commercial product with an internal radio would be housed in a plastic ( of some sort) box.

Maybe it's the choice of case that you really need to reconsider :)

DAve

hardwaylearn

Jul 6, 2018
I would solder 2 wires (insul) to each side of where the conn goes to c6 and hang outside case.