Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Unipolar Hall Effect sensor for cycle detection.

James Tongue

Apr 11, 2018
New to the forum and a reluctant noob to electronics, but determined to figure out a solution to a problem.
I'm attempting to replace a mechanical logic switch arrangement with a combination of two microswitches and a hall effect sensor. One microswitch is a trigger, while the other specifies an outcome. The Hall effect sensor is to provide a momentary output at the the completion of a cycle. The output from the assembly is a simple voltage to trigger a self contained mosfet unit.
I'm a fairly quick study, but these days my head is getting a little full, and this is a whole new sphere for me! Could anyone offer some assistance, please?

Thanks in advance

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Welcome to EP.

You need to provide more information, such as:
  • What kind of hall sensor are you going to use, or is that part of the question?
  • What is a "momentary output" in your case? Could be a few nanoseconds or a few seconds...
  • What is the "simple voltage" in your setup? How many volts, positive, negative?
  • How fast has the unit to be (how many cycles per second)?
  • What does the firstmicroswitch trigger?
  • What "outcome" does the second microswitch indicate?
Usually it is much more helpful to describe the problem so we can offer suitable ideas. The idea behind your questionn may or may not be the most simple solution to the problem behind it.

James Tongue

Apr 11, 2018
Thanks for replying so quickly.
This is intended for the gearbox in a toy airsoft gun. One microswitch is literally the trigger, while the other is to select a single cycle, or continuous cycles as long as the trigger is applied.
In the first instance only a single cycle will be completed regardless of whether the trigger is applied momentarily or remains applied. If the trigger remains applied then a further cycle cannot happen until the trigger has been reset and then reapplied. In the second case a momentary tap on the trigger will result in a single cycle being completed, but if the trigger remains on then it will continue to cycle until the trigger is released.
The Hall switch is to provide a non contact method of monitoring the cycling of a rotating gear. One rotation = one cycle.
https://www.mouser.co.uk/datasheet/2/115/AH3363Q-1075312.pdf Would be the type of device I'd like to use. A small neodynium magnet secured to the gear would provide the flux.
Input voltage would be between 7 and 15V. Cycle times could be as low as 10ms. Output current would be enough to trigger a 3034 mosfet.
Currently this is achieved with a janky arrangement of springs, levers and a cam.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Check out the Honeywell SS400 series, they offer Unipolar, Bipolar and Latch/Unlatch types.
M.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
I don’t see the need for two switches.

Pull and release the trigger- fires once.

Pull and hold the trigger - re-fires after each cycle as long as it is held.

Bob

James Tongue

Apr 11, 2018
I don’t see the need for two switches.

Pull and release the trigger- fires once.

Pull and hold the trigger - re-fires after each cycle as long as it is held.

Bob

Some of these toy guns fire 60+ rounds per second, so that would take a very quick finger to just fire the one shot! And at some events you are restricted to semi automatic (single shot) only.