Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Underwater Help

Ryan Bush

Feb 14, 2017
I have a small welded grid made of standard steel rebar that I want to submerge in the ocean (I live on the coast) and apply a VERY low electric current to.

The current has to be 50 amp / 12 v or less. Would I use an anode rod? Would it be easiest to use a portable generator or a cord to an outlet? How could I make it waterproof? Any insight would be extremely helpful!!!

Thanks,
Ryan

[email protected]

Attachments

• image-2-indo-globalcoral.org_.jpg
    image-2-indo-globalcoral.org_.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 73

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Cathodic protection is a rather involved and expensive arrangement especially when one starts running zinc anodes.

50 amp is not a "very low" current in any way or form.

Forget portable generators, bad idea.

Ryan Bush

Feb 14, 2017
Cathodic protection is a rather involved and expensive arrangement especially when one starts running zinc anodes.

50 amp is not a "very low" current in any way or form.

Forget portable generators, bad idea.

Thank you! I'm completely clueless, evidently, and I'm trying to replicate this process at home.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biorock

Do you think this is feasible? The current has to initiates an electrolytic reaction, I'm just following what I can find online. Would this device create an electrolytic reaction? https://www.amazon.com/Lightning-Reaction-Reloaded-Shocking-Game/dp/B0006B2Q50

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Do you think this is feasible? The current has to initiates an electrolytic reaction, I'm just following what I can find online. Would this device create an electrolytic reaction? https://www.amazon.com/Lightning-Reaction-Reloaded-Shocking-Game/dp/B0006B2Q50

No.
"Requires 3 AAA batteries – NOT INCLUDED. "
Plus I'm assuming it's output is ac, not controlled, no feedback, etc etc.

I hinted before at where you might find more information about this, but I guess you missed it.
Look for anything on Cathodic Protection, especially with respect to impurities in iron/steel and the like.

Ryan Bush

Feb 14, 2017
agreed, that's 600W of power, ..... hope you have a zillion$$ bank account to pay the power bill

dunno where you got the 50 Amps from ? didn't notice it in your first link

Don't know where that 50 amps came from either! I spoke with my friend and he says the lower the amps the better. . .

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Then save yourself a lot of trouble by using 0 Amps.

Bob

Ryan Bush

Feb 14, 2017
I am admittedly clueless about this and trying my best to learn.

I don't even know the difference between volts and amps! I've attached an image that illustrates the structure I want to create, any insight you can provide to someone with ZERO electronics knowledge would be great! If not, is there a better place online to ask my questions?

Attachments

• Electrified-Reefs.jpg
    Electrified-Reefs.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 72

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Posting a link or 2 to your references might get a bit more assistance.
Current illustrations are rather vague especially since you are requiring technical assistance.