Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Understanding resonators

Chickwolf

Jan 3, 2014
Good day to you all!
I am currently working towards understand how radio's work, but I am getting stumped at resonators. I know that a resonator is supposed to resonate at a particular frequency so that it detects the same frequency's and ignores any others, but im not sure about how they do this or how to go about building one. Anything anyone has on resonators, or just radios in general would be greatly appreciated.

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Hello
When you say resonators do you have any particular type in mind? One of the most common resonators is the Crystal oscillator. This is a very small piece of what's called piezo electric material. In the case of common crystals it is quartz..

When you apply an electric field to a crystal it changes its shape and when you remove the electric field it returns to it's original shape. In doing so bounces back and forth until it reaches a steady state. It seems quite plausible that if an electric field changes its shape then a change in shape would produce an electric field. So as the crystal wiggles about trying to find its stable state once more and in doing so it produces an electric field itself.

This is then amplified by some electronics and produces a very accurate sine wave used mainly for timing circuits. There is a more complicated version of this if you want to go a bit deeper.
Thanks
Adam

Chickwolf

Jan 3, 2014
In particular I wanted to find out about the type of resonators used in radios but anything more on crystal oscillators or on other resonators would be greatly appreciated.
What sort of electronics would be used for an amplifier? And how would it know how to differentiate the initial electrical field from the one being produced by the crystal?
If you wouldn't mind putting up the more complicated version then that would be great!
Cheers
Chick

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
borrow from a library or buy a copy of the ARRL Amateur Radio Handbook

you will learn all you need to know about basic to reasonably complex RF electronics

cheers
Dave

Chickwolf

Jan 3, 2014
Cheers, that book is exactly what I was looking for.
I have had a quick look round the internet but I couldn't find a copy of it, could you post a link or tell me where about's I may find a copy?
Thank you
Chick

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
you may possibly buy it from Amazon

I did also recommend checking out a library

otherwise look up you local amateur radio club, they probably have copies for sale or tell you where to get one from
I get my one from a local club, I only buy one ~ every 5 years as there are not enough updates to make it worth paying the price every year

Dave