Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Tolerance for high voltage capacitor in a microwave oven.

MidAtlantian

May 12, 2015
HI, I am trying to repair a microwave oven (yes, I am aware of the hazards, both microwave and high voltage) and have found that the high voltage capacitor has shorted. I have a replacement (for a smaller unit) but it is .76mf vs the original .86mf. Will this allow too much ripple of the resulting voltage? Will it damage the magnetron?
Thanks for any suggestions.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Assuming a standard microwave (not the inverter version) then the DC is at 50/60Hz so the capacitor isn't reducing ripple but is used to make a voltage doubler. You may see (feel?) a small reduction on power but it won't do any damage.

MidAtlantian

May 12, 2015
Assuming a standard microwave (not the inverter version) then the DC is at 50/60Hz so the capacitor isn't reducing ripple but is used to make a voltage doubler. You may see (feel?) a small reduction on power but it won't do any damage.
Thank you for your reply! Yes, I suspect "feel" might not be an ideal way to make a judgement. :)

So it is effectively the total energy the capacitor is able to store (for each wave) that limits its function? That would mean the resulting DC voltage going to the magnetometer would be a bit lower? Will the difference be the full 12% represented by the difference in capacitance?