Tolerance for high voltage capacitor in a microwave oven.

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by MidAtlantian, Jun 13, 2018 at 9:24 PM.

  1. MidAtlantian

    MidAtlantian

    Joined:
    May 12, 2015
    Messages:
    22
    Likes Received:
    0
    HI, I am trying to repair a microwave oven (yes, I am aware of the hazards, both microwave and high voltage) and have found that the high voltage capacitor has shorted. I have a replacement (for a smaller unit) but it is .76mf vs the original .86mf. Will this allow too much ripple of the resulting voltage? Will it damage the magnetron?
    Thanks for any suggestions.
     
    MidAtlantian, Jun 13, 2018 at 9:24 PM
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. MidAtlantian

    kellys_eye

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2010
    Messages:
    3,249
    Likes Received:
    855
    Location:
    West Coast, Scotland
    Assuming a standard microwave (not the inverter version) then the DC is at 50/60Hz so the capacitor isn't reducing ripple but is used to make a voltage doubler. You may see (feel?) a small reduction on power but it won't do any damage.
     
    kellys_eye, Jun 13, 2018 at 10:55 PM
    #2
    MidAtlantian likes this.
    1. Advertisements

  3. MidAtlantian

    MidAtlantian

    Joined:
    May 12, 2015
    Messages:
    22
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thank you for your reply! Yes, I suspect "feel" might not be an ideal way to make a judgement. :)

    So it is effectively the total energy the capacitor is able to store (for each wave) that limits its function? That would mean the resulting DC voltage going to the magnetometer would be a bit lower? Will the difference be the full 12% represented by the difference in capacitance?
     
    MidAtlantian, Jun 14, 2018 at 1:07 AM
    #3
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.