Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Timer for strobe lights?

darnell norwood

Feb 8, 2018
I want to make a strobe light system with 555 timers. I want to know what i need to make it
The pattern needs to go

Left light:L Right:R
R needs to make quick 3 flashes and L needs to make quick 3 flashes after that.(x3)
Then R needs to do 1 quick flash and L needs to do 1 quick flash. (x2)
Then, R needs to make 2 quick flashes then L 2 quick flashes

But then if I press a button it needs to stop strobing then it would act like a turn signal based on the button i press (left and right button.) This part is not needed if it isn't possible. I'd be using something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/4X-Amber-6...g-Hazard-Flash-Strobe-Light-Bar-/142300621656 as the lights.

If you could draw a labled schematic and a parts list that would be great! Thanks.

Last edited:

Doug3004

Sep 5, 2014
A 555 is easy to use if you just want one single flashing "thing" that flashes at one rate. It's not nearly as simple if you want complex patterns of flashing "things".

What is easy (and cheap) is to use an Arduino Nano instead. This is a small microcontroller board about .75 x 1.75 inches. You could have a button to turn the flashing on and off, and two more buttons to make it blink like "turn signals".

The Nano can't directly control high-power LEDs itself, you would need an intermediary part of some kind to do that....

The light bars you linked to on ebay already have some kind of automatic-flashing setup inside them however. To make use of that, you would need to know exactly what was inside them (you'd need to have a good photograph) before proceeding.

Or you could buy lights that had no fancy blink patterns, and that just blinked on and off with the power.

-------

Also is this "bike" for a motorcycle or a bicycle? The main difference being, the motorcycle already has a 12v dc electrical system to use.

(-Also if it is a street-legal motorcycle, you may want to first verify that you can legally add extraneous lighting to it. There are laws about that sort of thing...)