Maker Pro
Maker Pro

This Is What's Really Needed!

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
Yes, it's easy enough to google a component part and dig up the data sheet for it. What we don't have and what's really needed is a search engine that searches for user defined specs. For instance, suppose you needed an PNP switching transistor that required the following.

Enter Type: PNP
Enter Ice Min: >=1A Continuous
Enter Vce(sat) Min: <=200mV
Enter hFE Min: >=300
Enter Vce Min: >=40V
Enter Pd Min: >=1W

How sweet it would be to have a search engine that would return all parts that fit this criteria.

I can dream, can't I? :D

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
yeah i guess the problem is that the datasheets for a device are there .... well mostly.... been a lot of devices over the years I have failed to find sheets for
but the data within the PDF file isnt readable by search systems.
All that information on those zillions of datasheets would have to be brough out and physically places as text in html documents

I dont see it ever happening ... but as you say a nice dream ;)

Dave

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
CC, your post is timely. I just came home from my watering hole where I was talking to my buddy about this topic. He mentioned DK too. Strange, I've done business with DK for two decades but was unaware of this filter. Duh!

Thanks!

Chris

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
I agree, Digikey are a great first port of call when looking for possible components for a design.
They know about manufacturers that I didn't know about.
They sometimes know about new or special types of components that I didn't know about.
They have parametric searches.
They have direct links to data sheets.
And you can order sample quantities.
What's not to like? :)