Maker Pro
Maker Pro

The 555 IC Timer in an LDR curcuit board(Light sensitive trigger)

Kartik.

May 17, 2012
Can somebody lower the high level explanation of the 555 Timer IC in a light sensitive trigger :D

Heres the text,
Contrary to the normal use as an astable multivibrator, the 555 IC in this circuit functions as a comparator. To explain this rather unusual application,it is necessary to note the operations in the 555 IC - The output goes high upon the receipt of a trigger pulse at input pin 2. This pulse is of the voltage which is 1/3rd of the supply voltage.The output goes low again when the voltage at the second input pin 6 becomes 2/3rds of the supply. In the present design the second input is not used but the output of the chip can none the less revert the low state, since pin 6 is directly connected to the positive rail."

Kartik.

May 17, 2012
Thats the original one i have
right now i can provide you with the laterally inverted version of it only :(

Attachments

• Snapshot_20120604.JPG
    Snapshot_20120604.JPG
    9.9 KB · Views: 1,177

gorgon

Jun 6, 2011
What is it you don't understand?
This circuit works as a comparator. If the pin 2 get below 1/3Vdd the output(3) goes high, If the pin(2) get above 1/3Vdd, the output(3) goes low. To do this the input pin6 must be higher than 2/3Vdd. On your last (reversed) drawing pin7 is pulling pin(6) low when the output is low. I don't know if this is necessary for the function, but you will introduce a small delay when the output is switching.

The function is just like any comparator circuit, with a output driver.

TOK ;)

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
As I understand it:
This circuit uses only only one of the comparators built into the 555. If the voltage at TRIG is less than 1/3 Vcc (bright light), the internal FlipFlop of the 555 is set, the output goes high, the relay is turned off.
If the voltega at TRIG is more than 1/3 Vcc (dim light), the internal FlipFlop of the 555 is reset due to pin THRES being at more than 2/3 Vcc (it is connected to Vcc). Thus the output goes low and the relay is turned on.

Harald