Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Test Equipment

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
What have you got?
What would you like?
Buy or build?

We could (should?) have a discussion on test equipment - is there a sticky post on it? - but this thread is just an opening shot to see how people feel about the stuff.

I'm in the market for a new DSO (budget range, I'm not into hi-end test/repair/design work) so has anyone got any recommendations based on personal experience for a budget DSO?

How do the Chinese DSO's compare?

Soooo many thiongs to discuss. Don't know whaere to start. Anyone?

darren adcock

Sep 26, 2016
I needed a portable dso for Exhibition testing and gigs. I was on a very tight budget so bought KKmoon type portable one. I can't say how good it is really as i'm not experienced enough, but I just calibrated a VCO with it as my CRT bulb has blown. When I get my CRT fixed I'll be interested to see the comparrison. It was a kit build, took a couple of hours. Hs been reliable for the last year and a half (that's with me being mega lumsy and dropping it around). It was this...
Quimat Handheld Pocket-size Digital Oscilloscope Kit Open Source 2.4 inch TFT 1Msps with Probe Assembled vision DSO138

Terry01

Jul 5, 2017
I might be getting an old HP 54600B. I see some people say they are old heaps and stuff and others do this and that better but for my first scope it'll do me. It's only to practice on and probably abuse till I learn how to work one properly. Its in good nick and cheap so we'll see.

hexreader

Apr 21, 2011
Look at EEVblog for a vast store of knowledge and experience about test equipment.

Stay on this forum for everything else!

Rigol DS1054Z (hacked for 100MHz and all options) seems to be the budget scope of choice. Note that a hack is naughty and certainly voids warranty, which was why I paid a lot extra for a legit higher end model.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Second hand test equipment is the only way to go when starting out in electronics - unless you have a limitless budget of course..... and 'any' 'scope is better than no scope as far as learning is concerned.

I have heard and read of the Rigol hack and actually approve! I find it disconcertingly dishonest of manufacturers to deliberately 'derate' equipment (cars, TV's, test equipment) by crippling the software.