Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Taking Garmin Nuvi camping...

Alissa Thomas

Jul 19, 2015
What can I use as a portable power supply that will be safe in a backpack and will give at least 12 hours of backup battery? I can find nothing that tells me how many amps the Nuvi uses (though current battery last one hour). Battery packs I've looked at tell all about charging cell phones, but not Garmins.

I've considered using a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 as the power source, assuming I can find an adapter for the UBS.

Thanks in advance!

Alissa

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Which Garmin Nuvi do you have?

Google details of a replacement battery - they come in sizes depending on your model. You can then get details of the battery capacity.

However long the current battery lasts you can do a simple mathematic calculation to see much longer a larger battery will last and/or how much external battery capacity you require to last as long as you need it to.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Mme Alissa Thomas . . . . . . . . ( I am seeink that u r Amerikanski . . .)

Looks like the averaging of all of their models adds up to 10 watts or that being a 12 volts at 830 milliamperes power consumption..

The best thing that I would have is my Li-Ion based laptop battery which is 50-60 watts or that equates to 5000mah---6000mah.

Your mentioned Tab 2 units INTERNAL battery is 4000 mah.

Some punky little cell phone battery would not even be in the running.

Plus, if I am out in the STICKS / BOONIES in the Mojave, Chihuahuan, Gobi, etc and running cross country I would only be spot checking myself occassionally.

Thasssssit . . . .

73's de Edd

Last edited:

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
The battery for the Nuvi 2797LMT is rated at 5.5 watt-hours and assuming the battery you currently have fitted is in GOOD WORKING ORDER it calculates at a power consumption of 1.5A/hr

<edit> just noticed that even Garmin state battery life to be only 1 hour..... imho that's reason enough to discard it for a more practical and lower powered device! Although the device itself seems intended for VEHICULAR use and the 1 hour rate must surely be for the screen being 'on' all the time - doesn't it have a standby function i.e. low power?

The GPS devices in mobile phones are nearly as capable yet operate far longer than 1 hour (unless it's an iPhone :Do_O) so clearly there's something amiss.

But as Edd mentions above, there is no real need to keep the device switched on 24/7 unless you want to track your route and there are some lower-powered items that can achieve that task.