Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Switched Mode Power Supply/Switching Power Supply (SMPS)

H2814D

Nov 4, 2017
OK all. I have replaced all three optos, two on the main board and the one on the vertical board, and....disappointment. No luck and nothing has changed. Haaa

While looking at the CM6800 IC, it appears, and it had been mentioned before (by kellys_eye), that this should be one of the components replaced. It does seem to have information in the description and explanation for the operation of the component that could affect the issues I am having. The problem with that is that the exact same item is not available in the US. Well with the exact same markings anyway (CM6800UBX), so I have that ordered from China. Ten of them, actually, because 1 was not enough. Haaa. Estimated 12-30 days, Yikes!!

There are a lot of CM6800 components with other digits/letters after, and looking at their datasheets, I am really not finding much of a difference, so I am wondering if any CM6800 DIP would work? Is it common for component manufacturers to add digits to a chip just so another manufacturer (DVR, Stereo, etc.) can claim it is a proprietary component?

While I am waiting for it, the PS is being sent back to the owner to test in the actual equipment it was made for, to see if the load from that equipment will activate the voltage it is supposed to supply. I will let you know and I am hoping it doesn't blow all of the work I have already done with it. Can you tell I don't like to give up? :)

Once again. Thanks for your help so far.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Component part 'suffix' notifications can refer to small design changes, type of package and other factors but the 'generic' part number CM6800 is likely to be the same part across the range of suffixes provided the 'package' is identical.

You can only really tell by studying the manufacturers datasheets which list the various options/versions for the suffixes used.

Sending the unit back to test in-situ won't prove anything that a simple resistive load could i.e. connect a load resistor and/or light bulb.