Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Sony TC-WR770/870

Darryl

Sep 13, 2016
Are you on fb messenger maybe link up by video

I have -7.5v and +7.5v tested that with black test lead on chassis and found my 7.5v links and they are ok

I forgot to say ed thanks for your continued support with this issue i do check on here now and then

Last edited by a moderator:

Robisan

Oct 30, 2018
Hi all, just having the same problem with my TC-WR870 gone completely dead apart from a momentary flash of the light units behind the tape decks when turning it on. Have hunted thru all the capacitors [hoping that's all it was] but they are all looking ok. Checked the power transformer and all outputs are in spec, chased all the way to the main board plug to confirm the tranny tranfer board and the cables were ok. Done the usual uninformed process of tapping anything I can tap without causing a short or electrocuting myself all to no effect. Nothing works: no display, no opening of the cassette doors, no funny smells so nothing's fried, So, Daryl, I wonder if you managed to solve your issue and can provide a hint or two as a result? I really want to fix this machine: it's one of a kind genuine built in Japan and absolutely immaculate...

Darryl

Sep 13, 2016
Hi all, just having the same problem with my TC-WR870 gone completely dead apart from a momentary flash of the light units behind the tape decks when turning it on. Have hunted thru all the capacitors [hoping that's all it was] but they are all looking ok. Checked the power transformer and all outputs are in spec, chased all the way to the main board plug to confirm the tranny tranfer board and the cables were ok. Done the usual uninformed process of tapping anything I can tap without causing a short or electrocuting myself all to no effect. Nothing works: no display, no opening of the cassette doors, no funny smells so nothing's fried, So, Daryl, I wonder if you managed to solve your issue and can provide a hint or two as a result? I really want to fix this machine: it's one of a kind genuine built in Japan and absolutely immaculate...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181030-064650_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20181030-064650_Video Player.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 8

Darryl

Sep 13, 2016

Darryl

Sep 13, 2016
Im tempted to remove R700, R703 and R704 and replace with new as the problem lies with one of these.
I blew unit number 2 last week as 1 strand of wire shorted on the back of left hand capstan motor and a small plume of smoke came from around these 3 fusible resistors

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir Darryl . . . . .

Your problem should be that your shorting out of the motor, caused R700 . . . which is a 0.1 ohm 1/4 w film resistor . . . being used as a fusible resistor . . . . to open up, and is now leaving the ground leg of the D702 full wave bridge rectifier to be floating above ground.

Therefore . . . . . no 11VDC is getting to your motor circuitry to run it.

Wire in / clip in, a voltmeter across C704 to be able to read the emitter of Q702 regulator transistor .
Then power up and then take the new resistor and just make a 1-2 second, brushing against connection to see if an expected 11 VDC shows up . . . OR . . . if an unregulated 20VDC shows up.

If 11VDC appears you are in business to wire in the new R700 and fully try out the deck.

IF . . .20VDC . . . .expect Q702 or Q 703 to having crunched Collector to Emitter . . . and needing replacement.

Thaaaaaaaaaasit . . . . .

73's de Edd

The next time when I go to the ATM, and just after the money comes out, I'm going to
jump up and down, then flail my arms wildly about flashing the money and finally, shout out, for all to hear.

"I won!" "I won!" . . . its the 3rd time this week ! ! ! "

. . . . . . Copywight 2018 . . . . . by Elmer Fudd. . . . . . All wights wesewved. !.

hdrobien

May 29, 2021
Hi

I have 2 units (a TC-WR770 and a TC-WR870) with the same symptoms.

Have you find the culprit ?