Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Solid State Trigger Coil Simulator

abuhafss

Aug 3, 2010
Here is a circuit which I designed to simulate the pulses similar to that generated by the trigger coil.

The right op-amp is powered by dual supply.
The two 20K POTs are ganged together.

As per Falstad's simulator, the final pulse is fairly good replication of the pulse generated by the trigger coil.

Please have a look and help me improve the design.

Thanks.

Screenshot 2014-09-19 02.44.14.png

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
How do you want to improve it?

Do you want to make it simpler?

Do you want to make the output pulse shape more accurate?

If so, post a picture of what it should look like.

abuhafss

Aug 3, 2010
How do you want to improve it?

Do you want to make it simpler?

I wanted to be assured, if my approach is a logical or can simpler approach be made?

Do you want to make the output pulse shape more accurate?

If so, post a picture of what it should look like.

Though the output pulse is enough to serve the purpose but, I would love to have more accurate shape. Here are a few pictures:

distbenchtest2.jpg DIY-CDI-Trigger_Fig04.jpg post-264841-0-39548400-1383160488.jpg Triggering Pulses.jpg

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
I get it. So the first two traces are from real inductive pickups? You can kind of imagine the magnet attached to some rotating part of the engine, approaching the pickup, generating the rising edge getting steeper as it gets closer, then over a short time period, passing the pickup coil, causing the fairly steep falling edge, then getting further and further away, with the voltage settling back to the zero volt line again.

The other traces look like they come from circuits that were trying to simulate that waveform but not doing a very good job. I think the answer would be to simulate the approach, passing, and trailing off of the magnet, but I don't have the skills to imagine how to do that in a circuit - apart from using a waveform table, i.e. sampling the waveform then playing it back.

Actually a PC audio interface could probably do quite a good job of reproducing that shape. You would need to capture it and create a matching waveform using a waveform editor, including a gap so the waveform corresponds to a whole revolution. Then you would loop it, and save it as a waveform file that you could play back. You could resample it at various rates to create files that simulate the engine running at various different speeds (RPM). That's my best suggestion I'm afraid.

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
So do you want the wave shape in the last picture? This looks like differentiation to me with a delay.
Adam

abuhafss

Aug 3, 2010
Thanks both of you for your interest.

As I mentioned in post #3, my circuit is quite enough to replace a pulses from trigger coil.
I just wanted to get my design checked by experienced guys like you for any improvement/simplification. If improvements can be made, please do suggest me.

Otherwise, I don't want to waste your precious time just for pulse shaping (when it is already doing the work for me). The other help seekers might be waiting for you. :)

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
If your interested here is how I would do it. The values I chose are made up but it shows a response similar to what your after.
Thanks
Adam

DIFF.JPG
DIFFAMP.jpg

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Ok I couldn't really make it out from the last diagram. I'll have another think.
Adam