Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Soldering iron trouble.

8bit

Oct 30, 2013
I have two, one of for a couple of years and the other for alot longer. I would say they have had alot of use but after leaving them to heat up for about 10 minutes I find the solder is not adhereing to the joint. It behaves like toffee and is quite sticky, not fluid. Are my irons not heating up enough?

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
You can buy a new iron with temperature that can be adjusted, for $12.00 on eBay.

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
It could be due to aged and weak heating element of the solder iron OR really bad quality solder wire.

Specially the solder wires that are without lead and flux are very had to use.

8bit

Oct 30, 2013
Thanks for the replies.

By keeping the tip clean you mean wiping it on a damp sponge? Will that not encourage rust? The solder wire is from Maplins. I had no idea there were different grades.

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Wipe it on a damp sponge or even a rag and then quickly touch a tiny bit of solder on the tip to coat it. You will see it nice and shiny at this point. That's how we like it.
As far as water; The moisture will quickly evaporate with the hot tip, so rust isn't a concern.
Besides, its likely made of plated copper, not steel.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Tha fios agaibh is on-target here. The soldering tip is the critical item when soldering.
Electronic supply stores in my area carry little round tins of 'tip tinner'. I've had a block of sal ammoniac that I've used for years.
You have to clean the tip, I use emery cloth to get it completely clean, work the hot tip into my sal ammoniac block so THE WORKING TIP SECTION is completely covered, then touch solder
to the tip, completely covering the working tip section with a layer of solder. Your problem is because the tip of your iron is fouled, the heat is not transferring from the tip to the solder.
Keep the solder tip clean and you'll always get good heat transfer.
This procedure is called 're-tinning' the tip.

Last edited:

8bit

Oct 30, 2013
Thanks.

I'll try and post a picture of my tip as to me, it looks okay.

8bit

Oct 30, 2013
Here's a image of one of my tips.

Tip_zpsrbaixyap.jpg

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
Your tip looks fine.
I think it must be that you are using poor quality solder.
You can improve the bad solder using solder paste.
But,
I would recommend Kester brand,
not cheap but worth every penny.

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
The top looks good but that blue color at one end look odd. It suggests to me that the screw holding the tip is loose, or there is bad surface contact between the element and the tip.
Try tightening that screw with pliers or channel-lock pliers. The reason I like pliers as opposed to a screw driver is because you can apply a lot more torque.

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
A common mistake in soldering is holding the solder on too long.
Give the iron enough time to come up to temperature, then just tap the solder briefly on the component your soldering.
When you hold the solder on too long, it acts like a heatsink drawing heat away from the iron. Might want to check the wattage of your iron to the melting point of your solder.
Just my two cents.
John.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Again, good advice from Tha fios agaibh.
I'd still re-tin the tip, but that's me. It should be bright and shiny. Make sure your tip is fully seated and tightened-down as Tha Fios Agaibh suggested.
Is this a variable temperature iron, or just one temperature?
Heating elements are either good or open-circuit and are bad, but if you have some kind of variable temperature iron, maybe your control circuitry has a problem.

8bit

Oct 30, 2013
Again, good advice from Tha fios agaibh.
I'd still re-tin the tip, but that's me. It should be bright and shiny. Make sure your tip is fully seated and tightened-down as Tha Fios Agaibh suggested.
Is this a variable temperature iron, or just one temperature?
Heating elements are either good or open-circuit and are bad, but if you have some kind of variable temperature iron, maybe your control circuitry has a problem.

It's just a very basic, cheap one temp iron.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Well, if the advice above doesn't work, I'd replace the iron in its entirety.

Sadlercomfort

Ash
Feb 9, 2013
If that tip is really hot.. it wont help when trying to keep a wet tip, and will have a short window before the tip becomes dry after applying solder.

It may help a lot if you wipe the tip on a damp sponge, seconds before soldering.
Or, if you have a tub of tip cleaner.. wipe the tip on the sponge, then dip it into the tip cleaner/tinner before soldering.

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
I will add something unusual for all to know...

:eek:"hot melt glue" is an excellent tip cleaner ! I found one type/formula of that glue that does not work, but most do a superb job.
Found such by re-melting/removing adhered components with the hot iron.