Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Soldering FMC connector

jondarl

Aug 23, 2018
Hi Folks,

This is my first post. I have a PCB manufacture and I need to solder an FMC connector on it. Unfortunately, the PCB assembly houses will not do this job since it is too small ( I only need 2 PCBs populated with FMC connectors). I tried to solder it myself using 2 hot air guns but no luck - some of the connections did not solder properly.

I am wondering whether I can find any hobbyist nearby who is willing to do the assembly for me in exchange for cash. Any ideas?

FMC connector:
https://uk.farnell.com/samtec/asp-1...A3WxoC5O4QAvD_BwE&CAWELAID=120173390000402710

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Hotplate? I've heard of people using a simple clothes iron (upside down) to do things like this. A reflow oven is what you really need. You can make a simple one from store-bought table top ovens but you might get lucky and find someone who'll do the job for you.

Are you using sufficient flux? This is the usual reason soldering efforts fail.

JoeM

Sep 5, 2014
Hi Folks,

This is my first post. I have a PCB manufacture and I need to solder an FMC connector on it. Unfortunately, the PCB assembly houses will not do this job since it is too small ( I only need 2 PCBs populated with FMC connectors). I tried to solder it myself using 2 hot air guns but no luck - some of the connections did not solder properly.

I am wondering whether I can find any hobbyist nearby who is willing to do the assembly for me in exchange for cash. Any ideas?

FMC connector:
https://uk.farnell.com/samtec/asp-1...A3WxoC5O4QAvD_BwE&CAWELAID=120173390000402710

I have used a surface mount hot air soldering tool, a cheap one, and soldered 10 or 20 small boards that way. The first bunch I put the solder paste on with e tooth pick, but when I got the second batch of boards, I ordered a stencil. That made the application of solder past more uniform, and very fast. Then I place teh parts on the board and heat it up, it works like a charm.