Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Solar Tracker

SwengX

Jul 22, 2018
Hello everyone!

Recently, I built a solar panel and a solar thermal collector and I want to make it follow the sun. Two big electric motors are movinh the structure. Both of them are running on 230V. One of them is tilting the panels and one of them is rotating the whole system. So I need something with photoresistors and 230V relays. Can someone help me with the parts list, and the pcb layout?

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Not as simple as one would first imagine.
However there are many attempts with differing amounts of success all over the internet.
Control via microcontroller is almost a basic requirement these days so unless you are familiar with these arrangements, you will have a lot of work in front of you.
Try Arduino for starters as the community of open source is massive.
Note that most things on "Instructables" are questionable at best.

SwengX

Jul 22, 2018
Yes I know Arduino but I didn't find any project that good with my motors.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
So change the interface.
The program, drive arrangement, sensors etc. would be identical.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Well you might find someone here willing to design a system for you from go to wo but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Besides, how deep are your pockets?

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Yes, but I don't know electronics, so that's why I'm here.
This is not a school. Members of Electronics Point already know at least some electronics and/or electrical principles. We meet here to exchange knowledge and ideas to further our own understanding, and to help others who may be having difficulty with some concepts. We help those who help themselves, but very few of us are willing, or have the time, to solve your problems.

Sun-tracking, in principle, is not difficult. After all, the sun moves in a predictable arc across the sky every day. So unless your solar collectors are mobile and experience large changes in latitude, they only need to be rotated on one axis whose angle with respect to the horizon is determined by latitude. A simple differential pair of photo-sensors, appropriately shadowed by a "T"-shaped structure will easily track the sun's apparent position as it moves across the sky, barring any interference by clouds, fog, rain, and other environmental factors, which is why you should have a Plan B algorithm based on time-of-day and date-of-year. So, some sort of programmable microcontroller or microcomputer will be necessary for reliable sun tracking. Your job is to go learn about it then come back here with questions if you don't understand it all at once. Or, as @Bluejets implied, if you have deep pockets full of cash you can go hire someone to design and deliver a "turn key" solution.

Externet

Aug 24, 2009

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
you should have a Plan B algorithm based on time-of-day and date-of-year.
I neglected to consider the tilt of the Earth and its seasonal effect on the altitude of the Sun in the sky. So two-axis control may offer some advantages, albeit at increased cost and complexity, especially in locations like the Sahara Desert and equatorial locations with clear skies. It could also improve solar energy collection efficiency in latitudes north of the Tropic of Cancer and south of the Tropic of Capricorn. I doubt it would be cost effective north of the Arctic Circle or south of the Antarctic Circle, but these are areas of sparse population anyway.

It would be interesting to see the OP's solar panel installation. Howsabout a photo?

Last edited:

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Have you ever noticed that all of the solar farms popping up everywhere use fixed panels? Ever wonder why?

It is because using what you would spend on tracking to buy more panels will increase the output more than the tracking system will.

Bob

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
It is because using what you would spend on tracking to buy more panels will increase the output more than the tracking system will.

200w.gif

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Have you ever noticed that all of the solar farms popping up everywhere use fixed panels?
While traveling between Dayton, OH and Denver, CO, I noticed a "solar farm" consisting of several acres of tall sunflowers. Those flowers would move their heads to follow the sun's path across the sky. Amazing thing, that!

The sunflowers of course did not produce usable amounts of electricity like a photo-voltaic panel, but their seeds yield valuable oil (or so I am told) and I particularly enjoy them roasted and lightly salted on salads. We used to raise one or two, just to enjoy looking at them, when we lived in Dayton, OH. What the world needs now is a hybrid sunflower that produces electricity, maybe collected through the root system. Get on it, all you GMO dudes! Just imagine Monsanto selling electrical power seeds... patented of course, and illegal to harvest for re-planting.:p

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Have you ever noticed that all of the solar farms popping up everywhere use fixed panels? Ever wonder why?

Bob

This is the current practice for solar power in Aus, mine included.
To make my system a bit off is also the fact that I have two systems ( also common practice) feeding the inverter, panel face east and west,simply as that was the easiest most efficient way of installing them on the shed roof.

Out of 22 panels I get around 30kwh in summer and 20 in winter.
Hot water runs off solar produced power via a timer set 9am to 4pm and changed from cheaper tarrif onto standard.
That way if it get a series cloudy days , it can always revert back to grid supply.

seandepagnier

Jan 19, 2018
if using just one motor, you might optimize it for winter, or even manually change the other axis a few times a year.