Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Slayer Exciter Woes

Doyley

Mar 12, 2017
Hi guys,

Pretty much a newbie to electronics, but I've been taking stuff apart for years so I have a basic knowledge of things.

Anyway, I've built a slayer exciter. I have about 400 turns on the secondary and 6 on the primary. I get tiny arcs which are fine, but I want more (of course). So I figure I can reduce the turns on the primary. If I take one turn out my power supply says very little current is being drawn (about 0.6a with 6 turns) and I get no arcs at all. I don't get it. What am I missing? I see other guys using 2 turns and things on YT.

I'm using a TIP31C transistor with a heatsink and a fan I pulled from an old graphics card.

Thanks

Doyley

Mar 12, 2017
The power supply is probably shutting down to protect itself from being overloaded.
Ah that may explain it. Any way around that? I'm using a QW-MS305D if that makes any difference.

Doyley

Mar 12, 2017
OK a little update. I butchered an old 19v laptop supply to try and use that. It works with around 5 turns but doesn't stay on long. Is there a power supply from something else that may work?