Maker Pro
Maker Pro

simple waveform generator

guskenny83

Jul 29, 2009
Hi,

i was just wondering if someone could help me with something im trying to build..

i am looking for a simple circuit diagram for a waveform generator, battery powered, can switch between sine/triangle/square waves and is variable from 1Hz to about 1kHz - or something that is kinda similar that i can change the components to achieve the desired frequencies..

i've found some diagrams for ones that range from 1Hz to 1MHz, but as i want it so i can play around with audio frequencies, the range is too great.. is changing the frequency range as simple as changing the value of the potentiometer to one that ranges from 1k Ohm to 1M Ohm and capacitor to 1uF thus giving a range from 1 ≤ f ≤ 1000 (f=1/RC) or would there be more involved in changing an existing diagram?

ultimately i'd like to make two of these that run at the same time so i can play around with destructive interferences and things, but ill be happy with just making this to start with!

as for my electronics experience, i used to play around with simple kits when i was little and i did a 6 month course in electronics in middle high-school, but aside from soldering techniques and a few things about ohms law and such, i've forgotten most of it..

alright, any help would be greatly appreciated..

thanks
gus

guskenny83

Jul 29, 2009
741 IC waveform generator

i found this circuit on the internet that uses the 741 IC op amp which looks like it might be helpful..

a couple of questions about it though..

can anyone tell me the frequency range of the output? what would i need to change in order to make the range from 1Hz to 1kHz?

second, the power supply for this is 15V, would i need to change anything to make it run off a 9V battery?

thirdly, would it have enough amplitude to play direct to a speaker or would i need to run it through an amp?

and finally, is the last pot -R8- a logarithmic pot because its for amplitude?

thanks heaps for all your help

cheers
gus

Attachments

• generator.jpg
    generator.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 1,164