Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Simple voltage multiplier help

Chris1

Jun 5, 2017
I am making simple voltage multiplier pcb's for some bug zappers that i build. My problem is that I can double the voltage fine, but as i try to triple or quadruple the voltage, the voltage goes down instead of up. I am starting with 110v ac and should end with 400+ volts after quadrupling the voltage. My components are 1n4007 diodes, and 394J 400V 0.39UF film caps. The circuit is layed out properly as far as I can tell. I attached the circuit diagram I am using. Are my components limiting the voltage?
I have tried higher voltage caps but the result is the same.

Attachments

• voltage multiplier.jpg
    voltage multiplier.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
My components are 1n4007 diodes, and 394J 400V 0.39UF film caps. The circuit is layed out properly as far as I can tell. I attached the circuit diagram I am using. Are my components limiting the voltage?

you have no voltage markings on there ... where is the input and output ?
mark you image and re-upload it and reorientate it before uploading

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
The open circles are input, the closed circles are output.
You will not get significant current out but then you do not need much.

The 1N4007 are reputed to be quite slow but I cannot confirm this. I have seen it said that lower voltage diodes in the same series are faster. You could try UF4007.

The capacitors are all in series. The voltage is not particularly high so you may be able to run some in parallel. Have you calculated the impedance of the capacitors at the frequency you have? What is the impedance of them in series?
You could drive the stack in the middle rather than from one end.

You could use a high frequency source or a low voltage to high voltage converter with a low voltage wall wart.
I have the circuit out of a low energy fluorescent light bulb, this could do the job.

Chris1

Jun 5, 2017
The open circles are input, the closed circles are output.
You will not get significant current out but then you do not need much.

The 1N4007 are reputed to be quite slow but I cannot confirm this. I have seen it said that lower voltage diodes in the same series are faster. You could try UF4007.

The capacitors are all in series. The voltage is not particularly high so you may be able to run some in parallel. Have you calculated the impedance of the capacitors at the frequency you have? What is the impedance of them in series?
You could drive the stack in the middle rather than from one end.

You could use a high frequency source or a low voltage to high voltage converter with a low voltage wall wart.
I have the circuit out of a low energy fluorescent light bulb, this could do the job.
Thanks for the input. I am in the process of driving the stack from the middle as you suggested. I am a novice electrician so I do not know how to do some of the things you suggested. I will try driving it from the center first.