Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Simple Overvoltage protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Gregory

Nov 5, 2016
I have a 13.8v, 30 amp power supply that is over current protected, but not over voltage protected.

Am I correct in thinking that a simple zener diode across the outputs, and an in-line fuse is all I'll need to have a crude, but effective over-volatge protection circuit?

If I use a zener of 14.4v or there abouts, if voltage exceeds this level, the zener will breakdown and short out the PSU's output, and blow the fuse.

My question is, for a 30 amp supply, what zener will I need to survive the time it takes to blow the fuse, considering it will be drawing 30 amps approx.

I hope I'm making sense :)

Thanks
David

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
Why would the power supply go over voltage????
What about putting a "stopper" on the control knob ????

David Gregory

Nov 5, 2016
Failed Voltage regulator? Failed, or dirty potentiometer? (it has variable output). I'm assuming it must be plausible to go over voltage, or why else would a great many PSU's have over voltage protection?

Thanks BobK.... A crowbar circuit looks simple enough. I was just looking for something as simple as possible to keep from overly modifying the PSU.

Samodelkin

Nov 16, 2022
Let's bump the thread )))

Hi,

I would like to add overvoltage (not lightening, but N wire disconnection) protection to the apartment board. Currently I have such spike protection (Uc=275V 220V network) installed:

3-php-power-line-spd-din-rail-iec-type-2ul-csa-mersen.jpg

L and N connected to upper side, and PE to bottom.

So I see following options (besides to purchase some relay and replace board for bigger one):

1) Swap PE and N, thus varistor will limit L-N voltage, and will cause overload switch activation, disconnecting power.
2) Add low voltage varistor (10-25V) between N and PE.
3) Add SSR like
1PC-10A-25A-40A-60A-AC-AC-Single-Phase-Solid-State-Relay-AC-SSR-SSR-10AA.jpg_220x220xz.jpg_.webp

with input connected to N-PE, and output with resistor 2-4 kOm between phase and PE, thus causing residual-current device disconnect power.

What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.