Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Simple LCD - help needed plz

deadringer

Jul 15, 2018
Hi, 1st post an all.

I have a small consumer device with a broke lcd I'm trying to replace / repair. Just the lcd that is.
Trouble is i cannot find a simple replacement.
I know nxt to nothing about connecting lcd's and need help, possibly adapting something to work.

The original lcd measures approx 75x27mm and has 20- pins to connect to the pcb.
As far as i can see there are no other chips or devices on the lcd, just glass.
The lcd is run off a MC96F6432 controller.
There is a separate back light for the lcd

I can be very flexible regarding a replacement. It's basically an audio device / clock.
My trouble is, generic alphanumeric, monochrome lcd's seem to be pre configured with custom characters. But more crucially have far fewer pins to do a simple swap which Im hoping for. Assuming pins are like for like.
My equipment list is limited, basic solder, dmm etc. No scopes or any kind of data acquisition.
Many thanks

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
You can get custom-made LCD's but they aren't cheap, certainly not as one-off items.

If the unit is that important to you then seek a replacement via the usual auction sites otherwise be prepared to junk it.

deadringer

Jul 15, 2018
You can get custom-made LCD's but they aren't cheap, certainly not as one-off items.

If the unit is that important to you then seek a replacement via the usual auction sites otherwise be prepared to junk it.

Thanks for reply, not realy answer im looking for.
I have trawled through various sites and suppliers but cant find a close replacement.
I was hoping someone with more knowledge could advise / help on a suitable alternative that would work from the driver.
I would prefer to repair than junk.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The MC96F6432 is a microcontroller with the capability to directly drive LCD displays. This makes your task somewhat more difficult.

Can you find another of these "small consumer devices" that is faulty, but with an intact LCD display?

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
I was hoping someone with more knowledge could advise
:confused: Without a full explanation of the mutiplexing techniques used for the various types of LCD that exist - and your understanding of them - further information would be potentially fruitless in your search for an answer.

I can be very flexible regarding a replacement.

You might be, but the actualities are rather different.....

You have four alternatives to chose from:

1. contact the manufacturer and get an OEM spare
2. research the type, format, interface and technical specs of the existing one and design a replacement to be specifically manufactured
3. seek a spare from an existing (working) version (but actually using the whole 'replacement' device would be simpler)
4. binning it.

Choose any one of the 4 above......

There's a 'last chance saloon' solution and that would be to find an aftermarket version of it - it's possible however most consumer mass-market devices use made-to-measure displays rather than generic find-them-everywhere versions.

If you told us more about the equipment or even posted a picture of the actual display maybe we could do better......

deadringer

Jul 15, 2018
Its a simple am fm radio. The lcd is for station display / clock etc.
The make and model wouldn't really help. It would just be a diversion / distraction.
I have contacted who I think is the manufacture via email. But no reply.
The company do sell 'spares' but as a whole electronic module, and well over 90 us dollars, + customs + shipping to uk etc.
I perhaps wrongly, assumed the dedicated lcd outputs from the controller would make things a little more simple to source a suitable alternative lcd. sadly i've known good people in the past that would find this sort of thing a breeze who are no longer around. I'm afraid my limited knowledge isnt up to working it out.

Looks like its heading for the scrapper

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
The make and model wouldn't really help
What makes you think this is the case? Are you 'embarrassed' by the make/model? I'm perplexed as to why you are reluctant to divulge!

If the LCD has specific segments and/or indicators then you certainly won't find a generic alternative.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
LCDs found in mass market products are usually custom. If that is the case, ypu will mot find a replacement.

Bob